Where can I find safe Topsoil in Canada????

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness, it seems like the never ending quest. Every time I Think I have found a topsoil that is safe for my tortoise it has fertilizers or perlite. I'm so frustrated. I have been to so many garden stores and home hardware stores. Seriously, why is it so hard???

Does anyone have any brands of topsoil that are safe and can be purchased in Canada? Specifically in British Columbia??

Thank you

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Most nurseries have regular top soul without additives. That's where I get mine. Also, Canadian Superstore had PC topsoil; no fertiliser.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Oh I didn't think to check Superstore. It is the president's choice right? Does it have perlite in it? Thanks!

redfootdaddy

5 Year Member
Toronto ON
I was having the same struggle! I got PC Black Earth yesterday (3 bags for a 40 gal tank, maybe overkill) from Real Canadian Superstore. But this was after three nurseries with no luck. Home Hardware apparently is good for special-ordering stuff in for you, I'm going to try that for coco coir and sphagnum moss.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Oh I didn't think to check Superstore. It is the president's choice right? Does it have perlite in it? Thanks!
Yes, President's Choice. If you're still having trouble, try a landscaping business. They usually have straight dirt.

May, Aussies, & THBs

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
So after mixing the coir with the coconut husks my little guys eyes started bugging him again. So I cleaned it out and replaced with just the husk fibres. I have put down some slate rocks so he can walk better. But I won't be using coir again. I don't know why it bothers his eyes but I dind't want to risk it as he had an eye infection not too long ago.

I will try superstore for the soil. I've been to so many nursery's/ garden places but they all look at me blankly and all the soil has fertilizers or perlite. :)

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
So after mixing the coir with the coconut husks my little guys eyes started bugging him again. So I cleaned it out and replaced with just the husk fibres. I have put down some slate rocks so he can walk better. But I won't be using coir again. I don't know why it bothers his eyes but I dind't want to risk it as he had an eye infection not too long ago.

I will try superstore for the soil. I've been to so many nursery's/ garden places but they all look at me blankly and all the soil has fertilizers or perlite. :)

That's really odd! Are you in the Lower Mainland?

May, Aussies, & THBs