Where can I get a hybrid box turtle?

XanaZoo

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
I'm getting one just to spite you now.
Stop and think about the animal and not just your wants. No one cares how you want to live your life. The turtle is a different story! Why was your other one with you for only 28 years? They live 50 on up! Hmmm, stress?
Thank you for making light of the worst thing I've ever experienced. I was trapped in a terrifying abusive relationship for 2.5 years with no support and no way out. My whole life fell apart. Due to some care mistakes and bad luck I lost my best friend. I think about killing myself daily. I have no joy or peace. I hope with another turtle to care for I might find the will to live again. You say that they don't bond but they do. It's a slow relationship that takes many years.

I really don't think moving every few years is that major. Especially if I bring the exact cage with me.

Also my 28 year old was a male eastern painted from the central east coast. They are the shortest lived. 28 is not terrible.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
So I'm very hopeful about getting a hybrid box. There's just so many types and they're all wonderful, but I wish to have only one turtle to pour my life into. It's important in a way that I can't describe.
So I want a mix, something unique with traits of more than one type.

Now there's just not that many for sale. Mostly I'm finding Florida/eastern crosses, which is really just an intergrade not a true hybrid. An ornate/eastern would be ideal. But I am open to others.

So do any reputable breeders actually make hybrids? Many keepers find them unethical or unsavory in some way. I don't care what they think. I don't want to buy from some shady mass seller, I'd like a healthy one from a real breeder, ideally.

Does anyone here have one? Where'd you get yours? What sources should I seek out? Is this just going to be a waiting game of checking morph market and kingsnake every few days for months hoping to get lucky?
Hybrids are no good stick to purebred turtles and tortoises

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you for making light of the worst thing I've ever experienced. I was trapped in a terrifying abusive relationship for 2.5 years with no support and no way out. My whole life fell apart. Due to some care mistakes and bad luck I lost my best friend. I think about killing myself daily. I have no joy or peace. I hope with another turtle to care for I might find the will to live again. You say that they don't bond but they do. It's a slow relationship that takes many years.

I really don't think moving every few years is that major. Especially if I bring the exact cage with me.

Also my 28 year old was a male eastern painted from the central east coast. They are the shortest lived. 28 is not terrible.
Sorry about your life. But I'm stating fact, not making light of anything. If you were trapped in a bad relationship, just think about the turtle being trapped in a small cage because you are selfish and want it no matter the fact of you knowing you will travel and can't give it a proper home. They do not bond, they do not build relationships. That's in your own mind and heart, not theirs. They do see you as the food god though, so because of that reason, they may come to you or want to be around you.
You want a real companion, get a dog, parrot, rat, ferret, all of which will give you real affection and company.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Sorry about your life. But I'm stating fact, not making light of anything. If you were trapped in a bad relationship, just think about the turtle being trapped in a small cage because you are selfish and want it no matter the fact of you knowing you will travel and can't give it a proper home. They do not bond, they do not build relationships. That's in your own mind and heart, not theirs. They do see you as the food god though, so because of that reason, they may come to you or want to be around you.
You want a real companion, get a dog, parrot, rat, ferret, all of which will give you real affection and company.
Well said

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Well I'm hoping they'll do well in a broader range of climates and I move frequently.

As far as magical and mystical, maybe not, but they're cool to me.
You sound like someone who needs attention and a pet that can show you affection and if that's the case a turtle or tortoise is the wrong kinda pet for you and you say you move a lot so ur living conditions don't sound very stable and constantly moving turtles or tortoises is stressful for them as it is for most pets and you truly sound like you only care about your feelings and not your pets so in my opinion you shouldn't own pets at all and you need to focus on getting your mind right and get the help you need and once you have stability in your life then focus on getting a pet

Reactions: Tom

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
In all seriousness, a cat (or dog if you have time to walk it, etc) sounds perfect for you. If you are allergic and it need to be a reptile, then maybe a skink or beardie

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Ouch RJ, tough crowd ...LOL...while I would agree with your assessment normally, in the short time I've been here has shown me so many folks who I guess are on edge with daily life. They come here seeking affirmation and in those cases, quite often feel "attacked" no matter how nicely things are packaged for them by a helpful member, just so they DON'T get twisted!

If they come here to truly learn....it doesn't happen.

So X, you are welcome here in my book, but use some of the tools in your toolbox and try to realize that folks here really ONLY care about the little guy in these scenerios.....as they prob should, right? No one here is a bigger idiot than me so if I can get along, and they can get along, then we can ALL get along.

Pardon the Rocky reference....just having fun.

Good luck,

jeff

methos75

10 Year Member!
Lawrenceville, IL via Walker, LA
I spent 20 years traveling the world while in the military, I've been about everywhere. During that time I kept two box turtles, one of which I still have 10 years later after my last deployment. I didn't bring them overseas of course, but they did move cross country several times. I'm not really opposed to travel and keeping turtles, just need to be prepared.