Where can i get a tortoise from a cheap reliable source

Location (City and/or State)
Plano
Hi, ive been wondering if there are any cheap options to get a tortoise. Im looking for a hermanns tortoise or a russian tortoise but i cant seem to find any local breeders. I live in the Dallas, TX area. Any places would help. Thanks

Plano
Do you know of any tortoises on craigslist in my area because i already checked and msged all of them. And i already have the enclosure set up just looking for a tortoise. Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, ive been wondering if there are any cheap options to get a tortoise. Im looking for a hermanns tortoise or a russian tortoise but i cant seem to find any local breeders. I live in the Dallas, TX area. Any places would help. Thanks
Don't look for a cheap tortoise. Look for a healthy tortoise. Any money you save on getting a cheap one will soon be spent tenfold at the vets office tying to save it. The initial purchase price of the tortoise is nothing compared to the long term care and housing. $50 one way or the other is inconsequential.

willee638

HK
I guess for most of us living in different regions of the world a retile pet shop is the usual source of purchase because tortoise breeders don't deal with single quantity customers, but in the States you can find reputable breeders from online retailing sites. I prefer having a chance to choose the one I want at a pet shop ask questions & examining them to see if it's heathy, I don't believe reputable breeders online will sell anyone a sick tort & they most likely comes with full warrantee/ exchange or money back.

Plano
Don't look for a cheap tortoise. Look for a healthy tortoise. Any money you save on getting a cheap one will soon be spent tenfold at the vets office tying to save it. The initial purchase price of the tortoise is nothing compared to the long term care and housing. $50 one way or the other is inconsequential.
OK thanks

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area

My girlfriend bought me a Russian tortoise from this site for Christmas and she had a great experience. It came after Christmas because the owner of redfoot ranch didn’t want to ship in the frigid weather conditions, he stayed in contact with her the whole time and kept her updated through the whole process. Once the tortoise arrived, it was very safely packaged and healthy. Amazing weight and healthy new growth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about showing us your set up and telling us about the details. Like the kind of lights and heat your using. Kind of substrate and dishes. The size of the enclosure etc. Then we can help you make any needed improvements before you add a tortoise to it
An adult Russian or Hermanns needs a minimum space of a 4x8 foot.
As already stated, even a free tortoise is expensive. Reptiles are not cheap pets.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No such thing as a "Cheap" tortoise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A good UVB light (MUST have or shell and bones will be weak and tortoise will die):

mercury vapor bulb.jpg About $50

A fixture to hold the light (Have to get one with a ceramic base because the light gets too hot to use the plastic base ones):

ceramic clamp light.jpg About $15

A ceramic heat emitter for night time heat (provides heat without light):

ceramic heat emitter.jpg About $25

Some sort of tub to use as an enclosure:

christmas tree bin-1.jpg About $35

or you can build a tort table:

tort table d.jpgtort table g.jpg For about $50

A couple bags of substrate (I like to use fir bark):

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-premium-repti-bark-natural/dp/123790

(You'll need more than one bag)

A tile to feed on, a plant saucer for water, a hiding place - About $25 or $30

One or two surge protectors:

1585060469180.png About $15

Tortoise off craig's list - Free

Do you need to buy all this stuff? no, not really, but the better question is, "How long to do expect your new, free or cheap tortoise to live?" Without all the stuff shown above your tortoise won't live a year.

Plano
A good UVB light (MUST have or shell and bones will be weak and tortoise will die):

View attachment 288723 About $50

A fixture to hold the light (Have to get one with a ceramic base because the light gets too hot to use the plastic base ones):

View attachment 288724 About $15

A ceramic heat emitter for night time heat (provides heat without light):

View attachment 288725 About $25

Some sort of tub to use as an enclosure:

View attachment 288726 About $35

or you can build a tort table:

View attachment 288727View attachment 288728 For about $50

A couple bags of substrate (I like to use fir bark):

https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-premium-repti-bark-natural/dp/123790

(You'll need more than one bag)

A tile to feed on, a plant saucer for water, a hiding place - About $25 or $30

One or two surge protectors:

View attachment 288729 About $15

Tortoise off craig's list - Free

Do you need to buy all this stuff? no, not really, but the better question is, "How long to do expect your new, free or cheap tortoise to live?" Without all the stuff shown above your tortoise won't live a year.
thx

willee638

HK
How about showing us your set up and telling us about the details. Like the kind of lights and heat your using. Kind of substrate and dishes. The size of the enclosure etc. Then we can help you make any needed improvements before you add a tortoise to it
An adult Russian or Hermanns needs a minimum space of a 4x8 foot.
As already stated, even a free tortoise is expensive. Reptiles are not cheap pets.
Yeah exactly, I had a turtle placed in my care for 2 weeks & fell in love so decided on getting a land tortoise which is my preference. The cost of my pet tortoise was one quarter of what I would spend on housing it, feeding, lights, enclosure & space, many would be tortoise pet owners soon found out they can't afford the upkeep or adequate space.

Plano
Yeah exactly, I had a turtle placed in my care for 2 weeks & fell in love so decided on getting a land tortoise which is my preference. The cost of my pet tortoise was one quarter of what I would spend on housing it, feeding, lights, enclosure & space, many would be tortoise pet owners soon found out they can't afford the upkeep or adequate space.
Ok thx

Lindalee7

Miami,Florida

Please don’t purchase a “cheap” pet just because you want one.
Most animals (including and especially torts and other reptiles) can and will get very pricey to own and properly maintain. If you go cheap, you will undoubtably end up with a poorly cared for and unhealthy pet.
Do the adequate research necessary for whatever tortoise you may be interested in, make a budget as to what you can afford, and make a decision if a tortoise is the right pet for you.
Please keep in mind they may need special veterinary care at some point in their lives and that will also be quite costly.
✌?

polDurna

New Castle, PA.
All of the above being real aside...

Welcome to our Forum!
We love to help out prospective tortoise parents, save those pennies, buy the right stuff as you go along show us what you got and ask lots of questions, educate yourself for who you want to nurture and we will continue to back you through the day you get your shelly love and beyond!

Archie's mom

Groveland ny
Welcome....one thing I didn't think of when I got my Archie was what if the power goes out especially in the winter and your little guys lights go out. I got a solar generator now near his cage and had to use it already this winter.

willee638

HK
Another thing to remember is always have back up bulbs uvb and heat....hard to tell when they're running low and can quit without any warning.
Those are very good points, it's a concern if you live in cold parts with harsh winters & most tortoises species needs lights & heat sources. When the first time my UVA+UVB full spectrum bulb went I panicked because it was in February still winter, but now having my tort for close to 2 months I learnt if you take your tort outdoors for natural sunlight 3 times per week & feed them some calcium carbonate supplement with D3 you don't need a UVB light constantly on every single day & I can also just use an ordinary incandescent light bulb for heat instead of a UVA light & my tort still able to see & distinguish colours & recognises foods which I was mistakenly lead to believe only a UVA bulb is necessary to this.