Where can I sell my juvenile sulcata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I'm very sad to say I must sell my poor tortoise. I got a speeding ticket and need to come up with the money I need. I love my baby Sheldon but heard tortoises can go for a good chunk. I dont want to sell him. I love him so much but I have run out of options :'( so if anyone has any info where I can sell him to a good home that would be very much appreciated. He is two and a half years old...I will miss him.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
First off, Sulcatas are a dime a dozen, so I highly doubt you will get a 'good chunk' for it. Secondly, can't you find something else to sell, or set up a payment plan with the courts. Animals are not disposable.

samiburke

5 Year Member
Florida
I don't want to. I'm going to college full time and have insurance to pay as well. :( I love my tort and dnt want to see him go but if I can give him a good home it will help set me at ease. I don't know what else to do :( selling my Xbox and laptop too. But idk if I will have enough

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can post a thread here in our "For Sale" section, on Craig's list, or any of the internet reptile selling places. But you're not going to get much more than $100 for it, if that.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
Same here... I'm sorry that you are going to sell him. Maybe if you post an ad on craigslist you might get an offer

Keeblercop

5 Year Member
You can post on ebayclassifieds as well, but there are some Sulcata hatchlings posted there for around $40...they are very easy to find, so i doubt you will get much for Sheldon.

I also agree animals are not disposable; however, circumstances change in life sometimes and if you cannot afford to care for them....then, it's obviously best to find them homes before they have gone w/o adequate care and quality food for too long.

Best wishes.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Sorry to hear about your financial issues...I'll 2nd the suggestion of a payment plan, as even $10/month will satisfy the court (they really don't want to put you in jail and feed/take care of you, you know). And must agree that you won't get very much for a male sulcata...a proven-to-be female will often bring a decent price, but most tortoise rescues have a lot of males.

And take it easy on the gas pedal (my son and I've had this exact conversation a few times...)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Selling a tort is like selling a kid to most of us so don't take it the wrong way . You can get on a payment plan or take the bus thats what I told my 17 year old boy

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

cuco de cuba

5 Year Member
Place an ad in the for sale part of the forum and I'm sure someone will give him a good home. But like most of the members have stated above you wont get much for a juvenile african spur. Its probably best u place an add in a local classified as overnight shipping can get expensive, if you were to sell him to someone out of state. Why dont you put up some picture, that should help you sell it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Where in Florida do you live? I'm in Florida and I'd be willing to do this, if you want to really keep your tortoise. I can take him, feed him, care for him as my own and you don't have to pay me anything. When you are in a better position, financially, to take him back, I will return him to you. In a sense, I'd be a foster parent until you get all straightened out. What do you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.