Where did everyone get their tortoises?

kellya31

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I was curious where everyone purchased their tortoises.

Mine I got shipped from RED FOOT RANCH

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I got mine at the Repticon reptile show here in Atlanta

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, many, many years ago, we just took in tortoises that we found walking around in our neighborhood. . . never even considering we should try to find their owners. After a while those all escaped, and I didn't have turtles or tortoises for quite a few years. Then my son came home from the service, bought a house and started accumulating box turtles that were ill cared for from pet stores . One of his co workers gave him a desert tortoise their dad drove over with his tractor while discing between grape rows. After a while my son bought a rottweiler pup and the pup wouldn't leave the turtles and tortoise alone, so he gave them to me. That was way back in the '70s. It's been all downhill from there!

Last edited:

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I got 1 pair from Redfoot Ranch, way overpriced, but very healthy and robust. My second pair were bought from private breeders. If I could go back in time, I would have bought hatchlings from breeders, and raised them up in closed chambers.

kellya31

Indiana
Holy smokes. Did you pay a fortune?
Hi Harris
When I looked at turtles online LLL reptiles had the least expensive at $90 I think with $30 shipping but when I was going to get one, they were sold out of redfoots. I almost bought one from tortoise town but it was quite a bit more expensive.
I then found Redfoot Ranch, he was $105, and $60 shopping. Basically I paid the same as I would have most of the others. Lol.
I thought well if I’m going to buy one online, I think I’ll go with a ranch with Redfoots. My son made the comment I didn’t know they had ranches for turtles I thought it was just for cows and horses. What kind of fence did they put up?
In the climate I live in, I haven’t heard of anybody breeding tortoise And none of the pet stores carried a red foot here
Did I pay a lot of money for tortoise?
When I looked online, Redford’s or the least expensive of them all

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Redfoot tortoises are not on sale here in Jamaica at all, or if they are seen in the Pet Shops, it is probably an illegal import.
I have been involved with Hope Zoo here most of my life, and I am a reptile person, and I had a young ball python and desperately wanted a redfoot tortoise, so eventually, the Zoo gave me two redfoots (hatchlings) for my young BP, and that was two years ago. So that's how I got my redfoots.

kellya31

Indiana
First of all, many, many years ago, we just took in tortoises that we found walking around in our neighborhood. . . never even considering we should try to find their owners. After a while those all escaped, and I didn't have turtles or tortoises for quite a few years. Then my son came home from the service, bought a house and started accumulating box turtles from pet stores that were ill cared for. One of his co workers gave him a desert tortoise their dad drove over with his tractor while discing between grape rows. After a while my son bought a rottweiler pup and the pup wouldn't leave the turtles and tortoise alone, so he gave them to me. That was way back in the '70s. It's been all downhill from there!
Ha!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
When my kid asked for one, I didn't know where to start. I ended up finding him from a breeder on some classifieds I found on the web. I don't even remember the name of the classifieds. It's funny they had him listed as raised humid, and until I found this forum I didn't even know what that meant LOL. Took a shot in the dark, and it worked out great.

kellya31

Indiana
Redfoot tortoises are not on sale here in Jamaica at all, or if they are seen in the Pet Shops, it is probably an illegal import.
I have been involved with Hope Zoo here most of my life, and I am a reptile person, and I had a young ball python and desperately wanted a redfoot tortoise, so eventually, the Zoo gave me two redfoots (hatchlings) for my young BP, and that was two years ago. So that's how I got my redfoots.
I love love love Jamaica! Was there 3 times before my kids in Negril.
I am so glad you finally got your redfoots. They r so sweet aren’t they.
Supposably here in the states, my tortoise was captive bred. I wish they would stop importing them. I think there are plenty of breeders here.

kellya31

Indiana
When my kid asked for one, I didn't know where to start. I ended up finding him from a breeder on some classifieds I found on the web. I don't even remember the name of the classifieds. It's funny they had him listed as raised humid, and until I found this forum I didn't even know what that meant LOL. Took a shot in the dark, and it worked out great.
Is he a redfoot or what kind is he? How big will he get if he isn’t a red foot. I know right! I am in love with this little sweetie pie. It’s suppose to be my sons. Hahahaha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Was it a local breeder? Do you remember the name?

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Is he a redfoot or what kind is he? How big will he get if he isn’t a red foot. I know right! I am in love with this little sweetie pie. It’s suppose to be my sons. Hahahaha
He is a Sulcata, his/her name is Sheldon. It's my daughter's, and while she excels at other things in life and I'm very proud of her... Her tortoise care is lacking. So I've kind of taken over the reins of this shelled creature. Here's a picture of him.20180423_173255.jpg

kellya31

Indiana
He is a Sulcata, his/her name is Sheldon. It's my daughter's, and while she excels at other things in life and I'm very proud of her... Her tortoise care is lacking. So I've kind of taken over the reins of this shelled creature. Here's a picture of him.View attachment 238656
Awwww he is a cutie. I would love to have a gigantic tortoise, I have the backyard for it I just don’t have the climate. Nor an extra bedroom. Lol

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Was it a local breeder? Do you remember the name?
I honestly don't. I know that sounds crazy, but I'm pondering right now trying to remember what state it even came from. I remember the content of the ad, it said they were raised humid, and eating everything that they are offered and they had a list of all sorts of different kinds of greens that they offered. It was over 3 years ago, I wish I could remember but I don't.

kellya31

Indiana
I got 1 pair from Redfoot Ranch, way overpriced, but very healthy and robust. My second pair were bought from private breeders. If I could go back in time, I would have bought hatchlings from breeders, and raised them up in closed chambers.
What would I have saved? I’m just curious the price difference.