Where did you get your tortoise from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grundalowtortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mi

We know that Petco and Petsmart have wild caught tortoises and not to buy tortoises there. We have one really nice pet store kind of near us that says they use a breeder. I don't think they are lying because they have 8 different species of tortoises. And then there is mail order. Where did everyone else get their tortoises? If you got them mail order what website did you use? Thanks!

Michiba54

5 Year Member
Florida
Orlando FL Repticon... hope to get some crested geckos next time :cool:

And how do you know petco and petsmart have wild caught tortoises?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My very first tortoise (and box turtle) came from my son who had to re-home them because his rott puppy wanted to chew on them. He had gotten the desert tortoise from a co-worker's dad who ran over her with his tracter and disc. After that whenever neighbors or others found out I had a turtle/tortoises they just assumed I would like to have theirs too. They just kept coming, so I started a rescue.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I got Tank from a Sailor in Virginia that was shipping out. Lana was a rescue from the Chicago area.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
petsmart and Vicki Hale @ tortoiseyard.com. She was great to work with.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Unfortunately Petco, but I'm happy I saved my little boy from there. I wanted to get one off of tortoiseshack.com or tortoisesupply.com they're both good, and next time I'm getting from there :)

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Two from Craig's list,(that I would love to consider 'rescues' even though I purchased them! one from a reptite show(The only one I ever went to!!) 2 from people contacting me they had to place them, one from someone here, and one from the newspaper.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Nay said:
Two from Craig's list,(that I would love to consider 'rescues' even though I purchased them! one from a reptite show(The only one I ever went to!!) 2 from people contacting me they had to place them, one from someone here, and one from the newspaper.

what show did you go to

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I've sold two of them...but I will lay out everyone's origin (from the first acquisition to the last)!

Mortimer: 12 year old 19" 45 lb sulcata adopted from a shelter 8/2009...sold to my cousin

Climber and Jimmy: 6 week old normal phase babies purchased 09/2009 from a breeder (see Diesel)

Diesel: 21 year old 29" 127 lb sulcata inherited 11/2009 from a friend who moved to Germany and won't be returning...sold to a friend with a GIANT sulcata herd and a nice compound!

Eggroll and Snowfake: 6 week old ivory sulcata babies purchased 03/2010 from a broker...later learned the origin of the breeder (Tortuga Villa) and have paid him a visit...nice stuff.

Aladar: 8 year old 18" 36 lb male ivory sulcata purchased 4/2010 from Richard Fife.

Ages and sizes given were at time of acquisition.

With the exception of Richard Fife, I've opted to keep everyone else anonymous (except in listing Tortuga Villa). They know who they are and, if they choose, they can identify themselves. I will only say that (with the exception of the broker) I would deal with any of these individuals again.

I wish there was a way to prevent pet shops from selling any animals...but I would NEVER buy from a pet shop...unless it was privately owned and they bred their own stock...PIPEDREAM!;)

grundalowtortoises

5 Year Member
Mi
Michiba54 said:

We've read it on here.

Michiba54

5 Year Member
Florida
grundalowtortoises said:
Michiba54 said:

We've read it on here.

I'm not gonna lie... I thought you might be crazy, but then I read your a young "couple" so that explains the "we" an "we've". :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My little guy was shipped from So. Cal. to WA from a captive bred only reptile store. I wish I had gone straight to a breeder (mostly so I'd have more info on my shell baby, and maybe he'd have had less parasites--the actual pet store is one of the best I've seen from the photos and the reviews I read online and the phone customer service), but I was impatient and there wasn't many cb Russians available in Nov & Dec (definitely none in my area) since it was past hatching time and cooling down. I don't think getting a tort shipped is a bad thing as long as you do it right--ie. overnight in the beginning of the week, checking the weather along the route. One night of some misery for my tort to now have a lifetime of being spoiled. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.