Where should I put the hydrometer?

Greeenboy

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello, I have a baby sulcata tortoise and I was wondering where exactly I should put the hydrometer in his cage at? I have three digital readers, I have one on the cold side of his cage(by cold I mean 75-80 degrees), one on his hot, and then one half way up his cage in the middle. All three of them read at different levels. The cold one being at around 85% the hot one at 75% and the one in the upper middle at like 66%. So I wondering which one I should go by?

Greeenboy

Texas
Here’s a picture of his habitat

Attachments

• 990634DF-11EE-4406-B205-0CD66B82D5BE.jpeg
    990634DF-11EE-4406-B205-0CD66B82D5BE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Firstly, I'd ditch the analog ones and get digital ones. The analog ones seem to lose their calibration quickly. Digital ones often come with a wired probe. I place my probes even with the tortoise shell, as that is where you want to take you measurements.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use these from Home Depot.
This one is every bit of 10 years old with the original battery and it was $10 at Lowes.
They're also at Home Depot and Walmart.

Attachments

• 20190924_151436.jpg
    20190924_151436.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I have a baby sulcata tortoise and I was wondering where exactly I should put the hydrometer in his cage at? I have three digital readers, I have one on the cold side of his cage(by cold I mean 75-80 degrees), one on his hot, and then one half way up his cage in the middle. All three of them read at different levels. The cold one being at around 85% the hot one at 75% and the one in the upper middle at like 66%. So I wondering which one I should go by?
You'll want a digital hygrometer that you can move around and put in various places. The stick on dial types are inaccurate and unreliable.

Night temps should not drop below 80 in the coldest part of the enclosure at any time. 75 is too cool.

The tortoise is unlikely to touch that calcium block. None of mine ever did. I finally threw it away after three years of them ignoring it.

The flat rock over on the left side would serve you better if you put it under the basking bulb.

What bulbs are in the double hood? I ask to make sure you aren't using a cfl UV bulb in there.

More info here: