where to buy a red foot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
i dont want to buy from the pet store this time, there were too many health concerns...

but where could i buy a red foot, well actually i was thinking a yellow foot (also wondering if the red foot and yellow foot would be ok to live together?)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
You literally have a thousand different choices with a redfoot. However shipping to NY this time of year is something I'd steer away from.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Im in Mass an want to get another one but it is to cold I think to take a chance on shipping one so Ill wait till spring why risk it :)

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
Theres so many places to get one,id order closer to your state,i ordered my star from florida but i live in cali and failed to consider wut my baby tortoise may have went thru on his way here,next time i will order a few states closer,and like they said its really cold and those UPS truck and loading dock/warehouses can be cold,another thing that pissed me off was when the delivery guy showed up he was holding the box tilted under his armpit while extending his hands with sumthing for me to sign,i immediatly uprighted the box from under his arm,he looked at me like i was crazy until i explained the situation,the main reason i was mad was becuz the box didnt have big enuf words letting people know that theres a live tortoise,it did however state live turtle but not big enuff for them to notice,if i could have sumhow bought my tortoise any other way i would have but i couldnt find a star anywhere,my point is if possible i would pick one in person,or maybe jus consider the shipping distance for online order.

also consider wheather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I say keep it in the family. That way you are supporting the right people, you know your baby will be started right, and the breeder will be ale to watch their babies grow. Buy from a forum member. Jackrat has some eggs incubating right now, Terry K is a friend and a pioneer, Tyler usually has these, and we have lots of other keepers here too that do a great job. JD is here in SoCal, but I can't recall if he's got any eggs cookin'. No offense to any body I'm missing, these are just the few that popped into my head. What about Allegra? Where is she located? Anyone know?

I agree with SILVERSTAR about buy locally and picking up, if possible, but I don't worry too much about the weather. They are packed well enough that in most cases, weather is not an issue. When I ship them its only a maximum of 18-19 hours before they arrive. If I had the choice between an unknown source locally or a known, reputable forum member across the country, I'd ship without hesitation. Just my opinion...

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
TRUE. dont get me wrong id order again in a sec. wish id have known this forum before buying,my purchase of a tortoise lef me here and im thankful to be able to look to other people for info and the things i need to know for him,i will be gettn more tortoises so i will keep that in mind,sorry to get off topic. TURTLESHACK was good and i luv my tortoise the only thing i could even say is that if i ordered again from them id leave an email telling them to put a neon orange sticker that said -LIVE BABY TORTOISE FRAGILE.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Hey Tom,

I am from Florida. I am not shipping at this time since the weather is soo cold. I just don't trust the heat packs or the delivery people regarding the cold weather. I will have some cherryhead yearlings and new hatchlings by next spring.

I would not recommend mixing the redfoot and the yellowfoot. Although they came from the same area of the world, it is my understanding that the care is different. I will tell you that I have no experience with yellowfoots, only redfoots so take my 2 cents for what they are worth.

There are a lot of reputable breeders out there, I would think local is the best option though with the cold weather and all so you can forgo the dangers of shipping and pick up directly. I know many breeders will ship this time of the year and have great success. I am a nervous nelly about it and prefer to wait for warmer temps.

Allegra

PS
Here is the quality we have been producing. These were sold earlier this year. http://s891.photobucket.com/albums/ac120...or sale/

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Have you looked into big apple herp in NY? Not sure how close you are to them but maybe pickup would be a possibility and i believe they have CBB redfoots.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, I guess those are okay... [ducks his head]... :)

Just kiddin'. Very nice really.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Tom, shall I call..."punk" in response?!? LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
allegraf said:
Tom, shall I call..."punk" in response?!? LOL

You can call me what ever you like. I've heard nothing but good about you from ALL of your customers and friends, so I have no reservations about recommending you or your torts even though we've never "met".

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I would buy from Allegra in a heartbeat based on the ones she sent me, but I am planning to buy from Carl May in the spring to mix things up a little.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I got my last hatchling from Vicki at Tortoiseyard.com She was really great to work with, though I'm almost certain she won't ship until spring.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
:) thanks all, i was personally wondering how they would ship a live tortoise and now im thinking i def wont be doing that right away !!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Thanks, Tom. Even thoughwe've never met, we do share the privilege of serving our JRTs. The spoiled little buggers!

Mark, Carl May has some really fantastic torts! You can't go wrong with him. I am so glad the four are doing well.

Vicky Hale is a really nice lady who bends over backwards to help. I know she is also breeding leopards.

Allegra

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
turtletary.com is a good site that specializes in RF's, though they have Kinixys erosa and indian stars as well. Marc Cantos from theturtlesource is also a good breeder and very reputable. He has plenty of redfoots and his morphs look really neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.