Where to buy a Russian tortoise - Charleston, SC

Nadean

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, SC
Hi, my name is Nadean and I have been buying tortoise supplies and researching Russian tortoises for a few months now to better prepare for bringing one home. I have almost everything (so excited) and all I need is lighting supplies and the Russian tortoise itself. I live in Charleston, SC and have tried researching local reptile stores and breeders and so far no luck. I figured maybe they just aren't on the map for whatever reason. I would like to purchase one from a breeder or a local reptile store that's close by rather than one from petco or petsmart becuase they don't know anything. Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!

Nadean

Charleston, SC
Yes, craigslisted I came up empty handed..no postings. I found one rescue place but it has a po box which I thought was weird.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
On May 2-3, there will be a Repticon show in Greenville, SC. Other than that, have you considered ordering one online? I know arizonatortoisecompound, tortoisesupply, and numerous breeders on the forum sell them. Check out the breeders section on the Breeding forum.

T.G.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Your best bet will be an online breeder. I have hatchlings and a few adult males available. If you're interested you can contact me at [email protected]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, don't limit yourself to your own geographical area. Tortoises are shipped out all the time with no problems.

Nadean

Charleston, SC
On May 2-3, there will be a Repticon show in Greenville, SC. Other than that, have you considered ordering one online? I know arizonatortoisecompound, tortoisesupply, and numerous breeders on the forum sell them. Check out the breeders section on the Breeding forum.

T.G.

Thank you, I have thought about ordering online but was worried about if the tortoise would make it alive. I've watched a few YouTube videos on people unboxing their tortoises and other reptiles and they seem to be okay, it's just taking that leap of faith that I will have a healthy tortoise arrive too!

I will checkout the websites and forum you have mentioned, and I may have to go to the Repticon show. It looks like a lot of fun..I stumbled acrossed it in doing research.

Thanks again!

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
I seem to remember Carol S, a breeder on the forum, had some for sale a little while ago. Check the For Sale section of the forum. There are several breeders on the forum. Doesn't hurt to send them a PM and ask. As for online retailers, I've never been upset with anything LLLReptile has sent my way, and I've bought lots of supplies from them. I hear good things about Tyler at tortoisesupply.com. There are also vendor reviews on the forum. This site is an extremely valuable resource. I truly wish I had use of such a thing when I was starting out, back in the days before the internet. Ensure that you explore it thoroughly and maximize your use of it. There are people on here who have been doing this stuff for decades longer than I have, and I've been doing it for quite some time.

T.G.

Nadean

Charleston, SC
I seem to remember Carol S, a breeder on the forum, had some for sale a little while ago. Check the For Sale section of the forum. There are several breeders on the forum. Doesn't hurt to send them a PM and ask. As for online retailers, I've never been upset with anything LLLReptile has sent my way, and I've bought lots of supplies from them. I hear good things about Tyler at tortoisesupply.com. There are also vendor reviews on the forum. This site is an extremely valuable resource. I truly wish I had use of such a thing when I was starting out, back in the days before the internet. Ensure that you explore it thoroughly and maximize your use of it. There are people on here who have been doing this stuff for decades longer than I have, and I've been doing it for quite some time.

T.G.

Thank you, I will check the for sale section. A lot of research I've done has had LLLReptile and tortoisesupply.com as the place to go.

Ida K

I bought a baby Hermann's from one of the breeders on here, but make sure to ask specific questions such as:
what are they raised on/substrate
diet
where are they shipping from
experience
etc. you are purchasing an animal that is not cheap and you want it to be in the best health possible. :) I do have a russian that I bought from Petco but I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying from there. big pet stores do not take good care of them and usually they come home riddled with parasites and/or other health problems. do not take that chance.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DEPENDABLE EXOTIC/REPTILE VET FIRST! go on Yelp, it's very helpful! you want your little guy to be checked out when it comes home!
good luck :)