where to buy a tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

schribby24

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,
Lately I've posted a thread titled "need help choosing a tortoise"(go check it out, all input is appreciated) and while that thread collects info I would like to know where a good place to buy is. I'm leaning toward buying online because the pet stores around me know nothing about tortoises and don't have the species I'm looking for. If I buy online I would probably by from tortoisesupply.com. So my question to you, is tortoise supply a good place to buy from or if not where is a good place to buy from?

-Schribby24

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I've never bought a tortoise from tortoisesupply so I can't really comment on their tortoises, but many on here have and I'm sure you'll get a good response. Tyler is the owner and is on here a lot, good guy, and takes good care of his tortoises.

moswen

5 Year Member
i've never bought from tortoise supply but i think the owner is a member here. there is a for sale section here on the website, that would be a good place to go first, we've usually got red foot or hermann's babies (btw, what tortoise did you choose?)

also, there's a huge reptile website with lots of baby torties for sale on www.kingsnake.com, you can converse directly with the seller and ask to see pictures of the parents, ask the seller's husbandry techniques, and etc. you can make pretty good decisions on who's a good tort keeper by asking these few simple questions.

chadk

10 Year Member!
If you want a hatchling, and there are no local breeders, tortoisesupply is a great choice. You can also be patient and take time to prepare the pefect habitat, then just check Craigslist and local rescues and clubs. I have about a dozen torts and box turtles and none have been from a pet shop. My redfoot hatchlings came from TortoiseSupply.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Hey there is a few different sites...Check on here there are some breeders...The second is Try KingSnake. There are breaders on there as well and alot of them are guarenteed...You can check your local Craigslist and see if theres any on there in the pet section...or specifict tortoise sites that sell tortoises...Check rescues in your area as well. Hope this helps :)

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I bought my redfoot hatchling from Vicki Hale at www.tortoiseyard.com and was really impressed with her and with the health of her torts. She also breeds and sells cherry head babies, which I'm sure are just as well taken care of. I highly recommend checking her out and seeing what you think.

Also, its nice to work with her because you will be able to pick out the hatchling that you want. You are not just sent one sight unseen. She's even willing to try to help you pick ones with a personality you're looking for if you want. When I bought mine, I asked her which ones were the most outgoing and she told me which ones were least shy and I picked from there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We have forum members who breed Hermanns and Redfoots. Look through some of the past "for sale" threads and jot down some address links. Then you can contact them and do some more research.

moswen

5 Year Member
redfoot nerd has some RF sub adults for sale right here in the for sale section, if you aren't looking for a hatchling, and i didn't look for the thread but someone on here has like 30 eggs currently in the incubator.

schribby24

5 Year Member
so a summary of everything you guys have told me is that tortoise supply is a great place to buy, tortoise yard you can choose your tortoise by picture and personality, and be sure to check the, for sale topic, and kingsnake and rescues.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Id check on your local rescues and offer one in need a good home. I have 4 sulcata and one russian and all are rescues..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are lots of ways to find a good tort and it really depends on the species. I would get one from a forum member like Tyler or TerryK. Jackrat has the 30 or so Redfoot eggs in the incubator right now.

More importantly: Do NOT buy one from someone whose been keeping it on dry pellets, with no water bowl, no humid hide box and no daily soaks. I realize that this eliminates MOST breeders and sellers, but I don't want you me or anyone else to buy from MOST breeders anymore. It turns my stomach every time I have to answer a PM and explain to some innocent person who did their research and has done everything right that their hatchling is dying of dehydration complications because of what was done (or not done) before they even got the tortoise.

Most of the members on this forum, including all the ones listed above, understand how to raise a tort properly. Heck, that's pretty much ALL we talk about here every day. The general public, the pet stores, many breeders and sellers, and many of the people on kingsnake, do NOT know the "right" way to do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are lots of ways to find a good tort and it really depends on the species. I would get one from a forum member like Tyler or TerryK. Jackrat has the 30 or so Redfoot eggs in the incubator right now.

More importantly: Do NOT buy one from someone whose been keeping it on dry pellets, with no water bowl, no humid hide box and no daily soaks. I realize that this eliminates MOST breeders and sellers, but I don't want you me or anyone else to buy from MOST breeders anymore. It turns my stomach every time I have to answer a PM and explain to some innocent person who did their research and has done everything right that their hatchling is dying of dehydration complications because of what was done (or not done) before they even got the tortoise.

Most of the members on this forum, including all the ones listed above, understand how to raise a tort properly. Heck, that's pretty much ALL we talk about here every day. The general public, the pet stores, many breeders and sellers, and many of the people on kingsnake, do NOT know the "right" way to do it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Find a rescue around you somewhere and adopt one....Or get one from Craigslist, that's almost rescuing one...

Status
Not open for further replies.