Where to buy bulk substrate in NJ

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Sorry, I should have included it’s for an indoor enclosure for a redfoot.
I've always used the larger bags of pure Orchid bark from the Home Depot.
While the bags aren't huge. Or BULK sized. The bark itself lasts a very long time because it doesn't get moldy and it's easy to "spot clean".
You'll probably find that just one or two bags will last you more than one year.
Have you tried that option?

Steampunkpug

New Jersey
The only bags I see are these. Unfortunately, I need 10-12cu ft to fill the whole enclosure. If this is the only thing I can find, then I’ll get it. I was under the impression that the substrate should be changed monthly-ish.

Attachments

• 177BFA3D-AB63-44DA-9981-1C97CCB0D145.png
    177BFA3D-AB63-44DA-9981-1C97CCB0D145.png
    816.6 KB · Views: 3

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I use 2 or 3 cubic ft bags of 100% cypress mulch from Lowes & been using this mulch with our Sully for years now. There’s an occasional large/pointy piece or two, but those are easily spotted & tossed into the garden.

Currently $4.00 a bag

6749F837-E4A4-4B12-B042-08FBAF2214C8.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The only bags I see are these. Unfortunately, I need 10-12cu ft to fill the whole enclosure. If this is the only thing I can find, then I’ll get it. I was under the impression that the substrate should be changed monthly-ish.
My closed chamber enclosures have always been on the small side since I keep everything except hatchlings outdoors 24/7.
I thought that there were two different sized bags. I use the smaller bag.
Spot cleaning eliminates the need for a total substrate change for many months.

Steampunkpug

New Jersey
I use 2 or 3 cubic ft bags of 100% cypress mulch from Lowes & been using this mulch with our Sully for years now. There’s an occasional large/pointy piece or two, but those are easily spotted & tossed into the garden.

Currently $4.00 a bag

View attachment 355607 Unfortunately, it’s not available at my Lowes or I’d be running to get it!

Steampunkpug

New Jersey
My closed chamber enclosures have always been on the small side since I keep everything except hatchlings outdoors 24/7.
I thought that there were two different sized bags. I use the smaller bag.
Spot cleaning eliminates the need for a total substrate change for many months
He’ll go outside as soon as the weather permits, but in the grand land of Jersey, that’s not for another month or so.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Has anyone, who lives in NJ, found a source for cypress mulch or fir bark in bulk?
Home Depot should have Cypress Mulch for about $4 per 2 cubic ft. bag, the same as Lowe's does. If you have ever served in the military, you can get a 10% discount at Home Depot also.

You should be able to get yourself 12 cubic feet for around $24 plus tax and a bit less if you were/are military.

Steampunkpug

New Jersey
Home Depot should have Cypress Mulch for about $4 per 2 cubic ft. bag, the same as Lowe's does. If you have ever served in the military, you can get a 10% discount at Home Depot also.

You should be able to get yourself 12 cubic feet for around $24 plus tax and a bit less if you were/are military.
I concur that I should be able to get this at Home Depot or Lowes. I have checked all stores in my state and no one carries it at the moment. The closest store that does is a few hours away.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I concur that I should be able to get this at Home Depot or Lowes. I have checked all stores in my state and no one carries it at the moment. The closest store that does is a few hours away.

Check in with the garden center manager & ask them to check. Maybe they will order 20 bags for you. It should be arriving soon.

One of ours has 206 bags ready for you

04A1FAA2-F421-41EA-9929-220026B94A9D.jpeg