Where to buy clear vinyl for door strips?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
The thing about vinyl strips is that is isn't made to keep cold in/out. The kind of flaps you need for openings are the refrigerated/freezer kind. They are formulated specifically to keep the cold in/out. You can purchase it online for as little as .99 a foot! You can buy just the strips pre-cut to the size you want. Do a search online for "walk in freezer doors flaps," and look under accessories.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
@Ellie Mae I bought all they had about two weeks ago. That is the same Home Depot that in an earlier post it was mentioned that you couldn't find it at. If they restocked then that's great. If you don't want the remainder I have that's great too. You did lament no one had it or knew what it was - didn't know where to get it. Glad TFO helped you figure it all out.

@sibi multiple layers of vinyl floor runner work, it works well for a number of application specific reasons. Just like multiple layers of glass (the same regular window glass that is single pane) can reduce heat loss through a window. Why multiple layers work well is that you can then use a smaller width strip at each layer (contrary to how refrigerator curtain works) so those individual strips will slide around the carapace more readily than wider stiffer strips. Tortoises can be jerks and sit with there butt end through the curtain, letting warm air out or cold in cooling down the whole night house, and using more electricity. Multiple layers also trap air better than a single layer.

I have worked in cold storage food plants, and even the best forklift operators that don't sit on their machine in the curtain rarely have the time to make sure the curtain closed properly. Tortoises like the feeling of the curtain on their backs and sit there on purpose. Two runs of multiple layers works to keep them happy and the warm air in.

I have seen several applications of refrigerator vinyl strips where they were always offset and open, that the tortoise had damaged etc. I have seen where a single little stick corrupted the integrity of keeping the inside air and the outside air from freely mixing.

I post some images.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
@Ellie Mae I bought all they had about two weeks ago. That is the same Home Depot that in an earlier post it was mentioned that you couldn't find it at. If they restocked then that's great. If you don't want the remainder I have that's great too. You did lament no one had it or knew what it was - didn't know where to get it. Glad TFO helped you figure it all out.

@sibi multiple layers of vinyl floor runner work, it works well for a number of application specific reasons. Just like multiple layers of glass (the same regular window glass that is single pane) can reduce heat loss through a window. Why multiple layers work well is that you can then use a smaller width strip at each layer (contrary to how refrigerator curtain works) so those individual strips will slide around the carapace more readily than wider stiffer strips. Tortoises can be jerks and sit with there butt end through the curtain, letting warm air out or cold in cooling down the whole night house, and using more electricity. Multiple layers also trap air better than a single layer.

I have worked in cold storage food plants, and even the best forklift operators that don't sit on their machine in the curtain rarely have the time to make sure the curtain closed properly. Tortoises like the feeling of the curtain on their backs and sit there on purpose. Two runs of multiple layers works to keep them happy and the warm air in.

I have seen several applications of refrigerator vinyl strips where they were always offset and open, that the tortoise had damaged etc. I have seen where a single little stick corrupted the integrity of keeping the inside air and the outside air from freely mixing.

I post some images.

Will, that's good to know cause I didn't want to risk regular vinyl strips if it wouldn't do the job. I'll see how multiple layers of vinyl work in comparison to the freezer walk in ones. Thanks.

Ellie Mae

Will, that's good to know cause I didn't want to risk regular vinyl strips if it wouldn't do the job. I'll see how multiple layers of vinyl work in comparison to the freezer walk in ones. Thanks.
OK, well thanks for all the input. Still haven't made it to my local Home Depot but will take their word for it that they have restocked and will try the multiple layers. Maybe I will see @Will in the flooring aisle ;))

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Two curtains, curtain 1 is between inside and outside, is two pieces of vinyl runner folded over so it's four curtains total, all stips cut staggered to each other. The door way is just tortoise size. Curtain 2 has the pipe insulation foam on top of a closet dowel to prevent an air gap between the top of the curtain and the inside bottom of the lid. It is four pieces so 8 layers all cut staggered to each other. Notice even though one tortoise "Medea" is under it, all those strips wrap around her keeping the two air zones well separated. I put pine straw in there to make it more friendly for them. They like that alot.

Ever been in snow country where people have a porch, and vestibule, and then inside the house. Those individual spaces go a great distance in keeping warm air in, cold air out. @Yvonne G has similar, in part where I got the idea. The Mep's had a screen in area, and more closed area after that, and boards over the heated area. staging between cold and heated.
2015-12-05 09.54.50.jpg
2015-12-05 09.55.12.jpg
2015-12-05 09.55.25.jpg