where to find eastern box turtles in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiveleggedfrogs

5 Year Member
I never see them anymore. They are rarely seen in my area in north eastern u.s.a. Does anyone see them anymore in the wild and where?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
There are plenty of Eastern's around here. The kids find them at the golf course, near local ponds, wooded area's. I hate when I see WC boxies for sale on the classifieds. Some are really old, with smooth, worn shells...just beautiful. Then they're taken from their home and sold and put in small enclosures or...whatever. Get's me sick. They only time you really get to see any here is early in the AM or late in the afternoon....during the day most stay hidden under leaf litter or old logs..etc. My boxies only come out during these times or if it's a cloudy day they'll be out, but I notice my Ornate is out basking in the sun on the hottest days.

fiveleggedfrogs

5 Year Member
what part of new york because i just love seeing all of their different and unique colors. im just right below you in pa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fiveleggedfrogs:

You do know that its probably illegal to take them from the wild, huh?

fiveleggedfrogs

5 Year Member
i discovered that it is and i have just decided now because i like them so much i want to find out how many i can find in the wild but not to keep as pets just to see there natural beauty in the wild. thanks

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You can get a permit and then go to a rescue and adopt some if you would like to own any. The Rescue of Long Island always has some for adoption, if you are near here, or you can look up one where you live....I just got two juvies from them this summer. As far a seeing them in the wild, they are very elusive, and especially this time of year, are usually hiding under leaf litter, or going back to where they usually hibernate. Only very early in the AM or late in the afternoon, has anyone seen them. The will come out on cloudy over cast days, with light rain, too. I have never seen any out in the hot sunny part of the day. (except for my Ornat who is always out basking) She only goes into the hide when it gets dark.

ekm5015

5 Year Member
If there is any woods nearby I would look there first. Box turtles don't like bright sun and tend to hide where they will be camoflouged and it isnt quite so bright. I actually came across an adult today weed wacking. He was very fast and active. Sorry didn't take any pics, I let him be.

cordell

5 Year Member
fiveleggedfrogs said:
i discovered that it is and i have just decided now because i like them so much i want to find out how many i can find in the wild but not to keep as pets just to see there natural beauty in the wild. thanks
all posts before this thread you were trying to buy them, asking for free hatchlings. now you want to know where they are in the wild....

hmmmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.