Where to get a healthy baby sulcata?

Jtglack

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs
Hello, I am looking at getting a baby sulcata tortoise, and no this will not be my first tortoise, but I was looking at other forms and one cought my eye against tortoise town, so where should I look? Or is there anyone on here I can talk to?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.... reach out to @Lancecham and @Tom for starters. We gout our Sully from Lance years ago, perfectly fine tortoise. @Tom also in CA like Lance always has Sullys too. Be careful who you get one from, there is a virus/bacteria infection going around that is nasty.

Good luck

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
There are several Sulcata breeders here. But it's not baby season yet. I don't believe. I would go to the sell, or adoption thread. I would also make a post here...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Greetings.... reach out to @Lancecham and @Tom for starters. We gout our Sully from Lance years ago, perfectly fine tortoise. @Tom also in CA like Lance always has Sullys too. Be careful who you get one from, there is a virus/bacteria infection going around that is nasty.

Good luck
And there ya go..Maro types faster than I. Or he's a voice person.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I am looking at getting a baby sulcata tortoise, and no this will not be my first tortoise, but I was looking at other forms and one cought my eye against tortoise town, so where should I look? Or is there anyone on here I can talk to?
I have three clutches almost ready to hatch right now. Almost no one starts them correctly. Mark W, isn't breeding them anymore, and neither will I after these last clutches hatch and sell. The recommend is currently down to two people. @NorCal tortoise guy and Austin at @Arizona Sulcata .

If anyone else reading this knows of disease free breeders that hatch their own and start them properly, please let me know. I would like to add to this list.

ReiGuy

NJ
Hi JT,

I highly recommend going with Tom or one of the sources he recommends if you want a healthy sulcata tortoise. There is a disease impacting sulcatas and other reptiles going around called austwickia chelonae, which is lethal and no cure for. It is also highly contagious to other reptiles and if you have any other tortoises or other reptiles at home, they could easily get it if you were to bring home an infected baby.

Please do not go with anyone else other than Tom and who he recommends and I say this in an effort to try to save you heart break. I bought from a member on this forum and the baby started to break out in yellow bumps(a symptom of austwickia) and became very lethargic. I had to act quick as I have other reptiles, so ultimately had to put my little tort down after discussing with multiple experts here and the breeder I bought from.

This was a traumatizing experience for me but taught me something. Closing in on a month since I put my tort down, my snakes are still safe at least and doing very well. But I have some months to wait before I know 100% they're in the clear.

I see the breeder I bought from being recommended by other members on this forum, so please PM me if you'd like their name.

ReiGuy

NJ
I have three clutches almost ready to hatch right now. Almost no one starts them correctly. Mark W, isn't breeding them anymore, and neither will I after these last clutches hatch and sell. The recommend is currently down to two people. @NorCal tortoise guy and Austin at @Arizona Sulcata .

If anyone else reading this knows of disease free breeders that hatch their own and start them properly, please let me know. I would like to add to this list.
Hi Tom,

May I please ask why you're getting out of Sulcata breeding?

I unfortunately got a baby from a breeder on this forum that was not thriving well and started to break out in yellow bumps, and I had to put the tort down.

My other reptiles are fine thus far but I was really hoping to purchase a sulcata from you down the road, once I'm further assured all of my friends are healthy. After experiencing what I did, I just don't want to risk anything happening to my animals or have to go through that again myself, but thinking of going with someone other than you at this point is kind of scary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom,

May I please ask why you're getting out of Sulcata breeding?

I unfortunately got a baby from a breeder on this forum that was not thriving well and started to break out in yellow bumps, and I had to put the tort down.

My other reptiles are fine thus far but I was really hoping to purchase a sulcata from you down the road, once I'm further assured all of my friends are healthy. After experiencing what I did, I just don't want to risk anything happening to my animals or have to go through that again myself, but thinking of going with someone other than you at this point is kind of scary.
I'm making room and time for other species. I've been granted an unexpected and amazing gift and it has literally changed the course of my life. My torts went to a great tortoise keeper and their babies will still be available for sale for people who want a well started, healthy baby.

ReiGuy

NJ
I'm making room and time for other species. I've been granted an unexpected and amazing gift and it has literally changed the course of my life. My torts went to a great tortoise keeper and their babies will still be available for sale for people who want a well started, healthy baby.
That's awesome, I'm happy to hear about your new endeavor and that your torts went to a great home. Thank you very much for the carsheets and all of the experiences you've shared on this forum. It's very real and genuine stuff and helped me so much in learning about tortoises, how to care for them properly, and setting up everything the right way (without buying the wrong stuff) before getting my first sulcata. I am hooked and can't wait until it's safe for me to welcome a healthy one back into my life ?