JeannetteBasil

Location (City and/or State)
GA
hey! I'm about to get a sulcata and I've been doing a ton of research, but i can't find the answer to one thing. I know grass should be a huge part of their diet as well as some vegetables.

Can y'all recommend a website to order some quality food to help create variety and make sure they're getting exactly what they need in their diet? I've looked at tortoisetown and tortoisesupply, but i can't find many reviews on their products or service.

Additionally, what are some foods your tortoise loves to eat? Does anyone have a picky eater?

Thank you! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In your yard or your neighbor's yard, at the produce market, on a field trip to the country.

I feed my babies turnip greens, endive, escarole, radichio, zucchini, mulberry leaves, grape leaves, artisan lettuce, romaine and I pick a handful of grass and cut it up with scissors.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I see your in GA, in in GA too. You should be able to find whatever you need in your yard or some neighbors yard. I've got dandelion, clover, broad leaf plantain, and all kinds of grasses that grow in my yard.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
You essential want the yard that a true lover of a green lawn would despise! My alley is a tort goldmine-plantain weed, grape vines, dandelions, and hibiscus. I grow the zinnias myself- i tilled up a spot added cheap fertilizer and added seeds.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
So you know to feed majority grasses and weeds.. if your asking about a store bought pellet type food that you can supplement with, I think the healthiest choices are Mazuri 5M21 and Zoo med Grassland tortoise diet. The Mazuri is a tortoise favorite for almost all torts. Both are larger pellets that you would need to soak for a hatchling... Mazuri also makes a small tortoise LS formula that is tiny. I read that most tortoises don’t like it (mine did) but it’s ready to pour for the smaller size.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If you are going to feed him grass or other greens that you pick yourself from a garden or field, make sure it has not been sprayed with any chemicals.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hey! I'm about to get a sulcata and I've been doing a ton of research, but i can't find the answer to one thing. I know grass should be a huge part of their diet as well as some vegetables.

Can y'all recommend a website to order some quality food to help create variety and make sure they're getting exactly what they need in their diet? I've looked at tortoisetown and tortoisesupply, but i can't find many reviews on their products or service.

Additionally, what are some foods your tortoise loves to eat? Does anyone have a picky eater?

Thank you! :)
You can get great seed mixes from Tyler and Sarah at Tortoisesupply.com. I like their grazer mix and their Testudo mix is fantastic.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY