Where to get good food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
Where is a good place usually to get good plants or greens for food for a redfoot?
i am going to try to follow this schedule
The feeding schedule should be as follows:

Days 1&2.. greens alone (staple greens) such as Endive, Escarole, Dandelion Greens, Turnip Greens..avoid Kale and no Spinach!

Day 3.. fruit alone (staple fruit) such as Strawberry, cantaloupe, plum, peach, pineapple..etc. Avoid citrus fruits such as oranges, grapefruit, lemons..too high acid..especially tomatoes. "Seldom" Bananas!!!

Day 4&5.. greens alone (staple greens)

Day 6.. fruit "treat".. (something other than the staple fruit)

Day 7.. protein alone (well re-hydrated catfood).. dowsed with Calcium carbonate powder - no D3

Repeat schedule

where would somebody get endive or turnip greens? things like that?

wpk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I can get both endive and turnip greens at my local grocery store.

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
just in the fruits and vegetables? is there anything to worry about as far as chemicals or anything?

wpk

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yep, normal produce aisle. I don't worry about chemicals, just give everything a good wash before you feed it.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I buy mine organic mainly at Whole Foods. If you have a Costco near you that would be a good place to by produce as Costco is very picky who they buy from. :D

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
well i just went to the local grocery store for now and picked up some turnip greens and some endive, washed it up cut into small pieces, got it all ready, and he/she wont touch it : (

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
Keep offering it your tortoise will eat it when he/she gets hungry enough. You can also mix it in with things that it likes to eat and then slowly add less and less of the food it really likes.

Clock_Radio

5 Year Member
well, another day that he wont really eat it, should i just try to get something else for him/her to eat? or could it just be from the new move (just got him/her yesterday) :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Brand new torts often won't eat for a few days and generally hide. It is best to offer them food and let them settle in.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins is right it took Dale a few days to come around after we bought him. I think he finally came around when I offered him a plate full of every kind of fruit imaginable. :D Dale won't touch Kale or mustard greens or collard greens either. I would offer yours some spring mix and see how that works. I am surprised that he won't touch the endive as that is one of Dale's favorites. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.