Where to get sulcata

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Dubai/New York
I've been having this dilemma for a while, if I buy a sulcata from where should I get it? I've seen these cheap, uninformed breeders online and pet stores also have them... What should I do? I saw a sulcata adoption as from 2 years ago, it's like all tortoise breeders were active a few years ago... Pet stores probably get sulcatas from local breeders, but I thought of international shipping till I remembered that's impossible! Any suggestions? I thought about opening a tortoise breeding business but that's just one of those "crazy-never-possible-till-you-retire" :D All opinions appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can adopt one or fine one on Craigslist that needs a better home, I think that's what I would do if I were looking for a sully. There are so many that need a better home. If I were going to buy from a breeder, most of the members of this forum that may have some would be my first place to look. Tyler, of tortoisesupply.com may have some. That this time I don't know of anyone else.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
If you can adopt one or fine one on Craigslist that needs a better home, I think that's what I would do if I were looking for a sully. There are so many that need a better home. If I were going to buy from a breeder, most of the members of this forum that may have some would be my first place to look. Tyler, of tortoisesupply.com may have some. That this time I don't know of anyone else.
I've seen a few adoptions but they are old (2&4 years ago), I feel like those cheap breeders supply pet stores... I live in UAE so not a lot of people here might have local breeder info, I don't want them now, just planning right now. Thanks a lot :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hit up Tom . I can't think of a better person to get one from .

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hit up Tom . I can't think of a better person to get one from .
Will he ship internationally? Is that possible? Sound scary, but if it's safe I don't mind.... By the way I live in Abu Dhabi which is in SW Asia!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I would rescue one. There are many shelters and people all over the world who need to get rid of sulcata, if they just don't have the room anymore (remember they grow very big!) or simply don't want them. You could also look on Craiglist, lots of sulcatas looking for homes on there! Tom is a very reliable breeder, and he really knows his stuff!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I would rescue one. There are many shelters and people all over the world who need to get rid of sulcata, if they just don't have the room anymore (remember they grow very big!) or simply don't want them. You could also look on Craiglist, lots of sulcatas looking for homes on there! Tom is a very reliable breeder, and he really knows his stuff!
No ads on craigslist but I found this adoption ad from 4 years ago:
http://www.expatads.com/11-UAE/post...34489-TURTLES-AND-TORTOISES-FOR-ADOPTION.html
I don't really trust it and probably out of date... I hope @Tom will have a suggestion!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hmmm... I might acutally belive that that was probably a scam :eek: They have all the rare tortoises, such as Aldabra, Eqyption and Inidian torts, but I guess it would depend don what they were selling them for!!! I got mine off of Craigslist recently, a family bought her as baby and didn't want now that she's all grown up! Hope you find a tort :D

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Hmmm... I might acutally belive that that was probably a scam :eek: They have all the rare tortoises, such as Aldabra, Eqyption and Inidian torts, but I guess it would depend don what they were selling them for!!! I got mine off of Craigslist recently, a family bought her as baby and didn't want now that she's all grown up! Hope you find a tort :D
It looks like one but what will I lose, I'll deal locally but it shouldn't be expensive just about $20 max. as a "rehoming fee" since it's an adoption... He also speaks of his torts as if they were merchandise so I believe he is a breeder. I only pay when I see, so that's good. The UAE is small so it's a few hours drive for just about ANYTHING. I hope I find one!