Where to purchase a baby sulcata?

yankeeturtle

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi I have been doing lots of research and gathering the supplies and I am ready to purchase a sulcata. I’m new to tortoises however I have owned red ear sliders for 10 years. (Yes I understand they are very different and understand the commitment after reading through the wealth of information on here and online.) This forum appears to be one of the best places to get accurate trustworthy information so if you guys could recommend someone who ships to NY who is selling a baby sulcata that would be great. I have seen other posts about different websites or online breeders however some were years old and I was trying to get the most up to date information. Thank you for the help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just be sure the info you read and follow is only from this forum. This is the only place with the correct care info.
You should also, seeing you don't yet have a tortoise, post pics of what supply you do have so we can help with anything that you should not use and can return before using.
Then get the enclosure all set up and running so you can tweak everything before getting the tort.
As for where to buy from, any breeder on this forum.
I'm not sure who has any at this time but maybe @Tom @Markw84

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As of a few days ago, @NorCal tortoise guy had 9 left and that was it for the year. He has great sulcatas and they would be a good choice for you. Message him and see if he is shipping.

Really do think though the process of housing a large tortoise in the New York winters. It takes a very elaborate and expensive setup to do properly. You cannot just put a 100lb tortoise in an indoor enclosure for the winter. You will need a climate-controlled tortoise building at least 120 sq ft. as a minimum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi I have been doing lots of research and gathering the supplies and I am ready to purchase a sulcata. I’m new to tortoises however I have owned red ear sliders for 10 years. (Yes I understand they are very different and understand the commitment after reading through the wealth of information on here and online.) This forum appears to be one of the best places to get accurate trustworthy information so if you guys could recommend someone who ships to NY who is selling a baby sulcata that would be great. I have seen other posts about different websites or online breeders however some were years old and I was trying to get the most up to date information. Thank you for the help.
Why a sulcata? In your climate? Have you really thought this through? There are so many other wonderful species that would be MUCH easier to deal with in your area of the world. Its not impossible to house one there, but it is very difficult, very expensive, and nothing about it will be easy.