where to purchase a plastic tub/container???

Status
Not open for further replies.

christinevandorm

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Olympia, WA
Hi guys, I have a Russian Tortoise and his inside home is currently a ZILLA 40 Gallon Tank. He is always trying to get out in the corners. It seems that there are plastic containers that are larger then the dimensions of my terrarium which is 36x18.
Does anyone have a good reccomendation on what container type and size to purchase???
Thanks
Christine

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can purchase the big rubbermaid containers at Home Depot, Lowes, wall Mart, target....you would likely do best with at least a 50 gallon size but bigger, in this case, is always better :D

I don't know if you are able to take your tortoise out for natural sunlight? But it is so beneficial to these guys for maybe at least 20-30 minutes a day or more .....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your enclosure was 100x100' he would still try to get out in the corners, but still the bigger the better. Any hardware store should be able to help you out. You can also try Vision Tubs or Waterland Tubs if you are wanting to go really big.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Trying to get out in the corners isn't necessarily about enclosure size, as they sometimes do that even in large outdoor enclosures. That said, I have my torts in Christmas tree storage tubs, 48x18, except when they are outdoors. When they are indoors and get to stomping around a lot, I redirect their energy with food, a change in light, or adding to/removing from their decor. It helps. Have you tried making his enclosure more interesting, with plants (in pots maybe), different surfaces to walk and climb on, and fun places to hide?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
try yard sales, and thrift stores I have found lots of them in places like that, and real real cheap.

christinevandorm

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
Thanks guys, I used to have him in one of those kiddie wading pools, but my office was always so dusty with the playsand/forest bed mix of bedding. That's why I purchased a terrarium with a wire lid, I figured the dust would stay in the tank. But he really has so much less room in the terrarium, so I will probably just switch back to the pool.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Hi Christine,
I built a 4x2 foot enclosure and lined it with a flood tray of the same dimensions. The tray was slightly pricey ($59.99), but it will last a lifetime and should be easy to clean. Here is where I obtained the cheapest tray I could find:

http://www.allhydroponics.com/hydro...iners/activeaquablackfloodtray.cfm?TID=HDR054

If you're not looking to spend all that money, I'm sure the pool will work fine.

-Chris

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
christinevandorm said:
Hi guys, I have a Russian Tortoise and his inside home is currently a ZILLA 40 Gallon Tank. He is always trying to get out in the corners. It seems that there are plastic containers that are larger then the dimensions of my terrarium which is 36x18.
Does anyone have a good reccomendation on what container type and size to purchase???
Thanks
Christine

Hi Christine,
I built a 4x2 foot enclosure and lined it with a flood tray of the same dimensions. The tray was slightly pricey ($59.99), but it will last a lifetime and should be easy to clean. Here is where I obtained the cheapest tray I could find:

http://www.allhydroponics.com/hydro...iners/activeaquablackfloodtray.cfm?TID=HDR054

If you're not looking to spend all that money, I'm sure the pool will work fine.

-Chris

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have many animals in indoor habitats because they're all outside, but I DO have some baby box turtles and some baby Texas tortoises in plastic tubs (which are outside).

Last year I learned about Christmas tree storage bins made by Iris. Wow! This is the absolute best plastic tote ever!

Here's a picture of one I had just received in the mail. As you can see, its as tall as my 4-drawer filing cabinet:

100_0973.jpg

I put "Christmas Tree Storage Bin by Iris" into my GOOGLE's search box and shopped around to find the cheapest place and shipping.

christinevandorm

5 Year Member
Olympia, WA
ok ok ok Yvonne, I was looking for that just tub on-line yesterday. Checked AMAZON, EBAY, etc....all out of stock...tell me your secret PLEASE....lol......WOuld love to get that one as well!!!

Schlomo

5 Year Member

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That pretty much sums it up, ok. Sometimes you can find them a places like Wal-Mart, but like was said previously, only during the holidays.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
Lowes should always have large one, even not during the hoildays.

Status
Not open for further replies.