Where to purchase a spider tortoise?

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
Hi everyone I was wondering where I could find a spider tortoise for sale. I don't have a CBW permit so I decided that this was my best option for a beautiful looking tortoise that isn't radiated. I can't find any website that sells them and was wondering if any of you guys knew a reliable source of where to purchase one. Thanks for the help, Ben

BFrederick

5 Year Member
Ben,
They are very hard to come by and you might only see a few for sale online every year. This is partly because their reproductive rate is so low; only a couple eggs a year for each female at the most.
I actually have people offering to buy mine all the time even though they are not for sale right now :)

Brian

ben32hayt said:
Hi everyone I was wondering where I could find a spider tortoise for sale. I don't have a CBW permit so I decided that this was my best option for a beautiful looking tortoise that isn't radiated. I can't find any website that sells them and was wondering if any of you guys knew a reliable source of where to purchase one. Thanks for the help, Ben

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Bushmaster has had them over the past year. They pop up on faunaclassifieds evey few months. The Behler center has surplused some (you have to "apply" to buy them).

They are usually sold within hours after being posted, not days, but hours. I understand a few were avaliable at the Daytona show this year as well.

Some folks have produced crosses among the subspecies. A few zoos have these as well, so it is more prevalent than perhaps recognized.

Will