Where's Joe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Joe disappeared late this afternoon. I checked out his usual snoozing and overnight places and he was in none of them. My son and I ended up doing a carefully planned finger trip search of the borders trying to find him.

He was under the acer... look carefully...
Joe002.jpg

Now can you see him?
Joe003.jpg

It's unusual for him to dig in this deep when the weather's not that cold. Either he's hinting he doesn't want to be dragged in for the night, or it's going to be colder than they forecast.

Joe measures 10.5 inches long... if you can lose him that quickly and that easily, you can see why those of you with smaller torts need to keep your eyes peeled! :D

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
that is one well hided tortoise!
yeah I have to be so carefull in the garden my bigger one is only 8cm!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He's pretty much dead centre in the first pic... hard to spot :D

It's just as well Greg's Aldabras don't dig in this like this. They'd be felling trees!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
OMG, I would have had a heart attack. I don't know how you do it. I can't put my 3" leopard out with out constantly looking for him. When I go to bring him in for the nite, if I can't find him right away, I totally freak. His enclosure is totally safe from him getting out and birds getting in, but I still panic. How do you get over it. I want to be able to put him out and do things, like go away shopping and stuff, but feel like I have to watch him the whole time he is out. So glad he was not lost, lost. LOL:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
We've had Joe a very long time and this house and garden since 1999. He is a creature of habit, so usually when he decides to hide out we have a pretty good idea where to look. Under the acer is a spot he hasn't used for some time, and even then he wasn't exactly easy to spot.

The family are used to the cry of "Can you come and help find Joe please?" :D

Looking at the forecast, I'm hoping he'll be able to stay out 24/7 very soon... possibly even starting tomorrow. Then the search for him is to make sure he's gone to sleep somewhere sensible where the sun will get to him first thing next morning! He does love it under our Red Hot Poker, but it doesn't get the sun until about 3pm and he wakes up very late if he's there overnight!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I couldn't find him. That was hard on my eyes!

Status
Not open for further replies.