Whetstone Made The 3 Inch Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I measured my Indian Star today and she hit 3 inches, I'm not exactly sure how old she is but I believe her to be close to a year old, I have had her since April,she has grown 1 1/4 inch since then. Don't know if this is a good growth rate or not, She is different in the since of keeping her enclosure neat and clean, I'm used to tortoises trampling and destroying everything in sight but not her, she can get a little messy with the mazuri though.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
She looks beautiful! Looks like you have a wonderful planted enclosure for her.. What do you use for substrate? And are there any edible/safe plants that you prefer to use in your set ups?

arotester

5 Year Member
you won't believe but mine looks exactly the same as yours i.e. cute :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Anthony P said:
She looks beautiful! Looks like you have a wonderful planted enclosure for her.. What do you use for substrate? And are there any edible/safe plants that you prefer to use in your set ups?
The substrate is made up of mulched leaves, twigs and dirt, aged a few years. here are some pics of how I do it, The first is of a colosasia and banana tree patch with some cannas and a few other plants in the mix that I mulch with this years leaves, the first pic was taken about Halloween and the other was taken this morning, Next spring I will take the mulch from here and move it to the maple tree. The good substrate material is at the bottom of the pile around the tree,I don't rake all the leaves in the yard because Walker eats them during winter and prefers them dry. As for indoor enclosure plants I have found that cactus ,sedums, and succulents hold up best.notice the new growth on the single pad in the pic.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Gee Len, What is it really like to have a tort that keeps a clean house? I get so upset/not really/ maybe jealous? when everyone posts those nice enclosures, with all the pretty rocks, and the white picket fence and the little saucer in the center. My guys are like bulls in a china shop, one minute I dress things up, turn my back and voila it's trashed!!! The water looks like it has been there a week, never changed, and food is grown in and plants, what are those?? I love summer, outside and beautiful!
Thanks for posting, maybe I need the next one to be little!
Also that figtree is still alive!
Nay

Len B

10 Year Member!
Nay said:
Gee Len, What is it really like to have a tort that keeps a clean house? I get so upset/not really/ maybe jealous? when everyone posts those nice enclosures, with all the pretty rocks, and the white picket fence and the little saucer in the center. My guys are like bulls in a china shop, one minute I dress things up, turn my back and voila it's trashed!!! The water looks like it has been there a week, never changed, and food is grown in and plants, what are those?? I love summer, outside and beautiful!
Thanks for posting, maybe I need the next one to be little!
Also that figtree is still alive!
Nay

This star is only the second tortoise that I have ever had that didn't dig up, destroy, or eat everything in the enclosure over time, the other is the impressed tortoise, I don't think size has anything to do with it. Did you leave the tree outside or bring it in for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.