Which are these? Can I feed them to my stars?

Gattu N'Coco

Location (City and/or State)
india
My dad got these from an organic nursery yesterday can you tell what are these? Can any of them be of use to my torts?IMG-20180602-WA0008.jpegIMG-20180602-WA0007.jpegIMG-20180602-WA0003.jpegIMG-20180602-WA0004.jpegIMG-20180602-WA0006.jpegIMG-20180602-WA0005.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The last one is Celosia

Thanks on this....i was torn between the scarlett sage and celosia. Celosia/cockscomb has a lot of varieties... tks.

Wiki. - Celosia is a small genus of edible and ornamental plants in the amaranth family, Amaranthaceae. The generic name is derived from the Ancient Greek word κήλεος (kḗleos), meaning "burning," and refers to the flame-like flower heads. Species are commonly known as woolflowers, or, if the flower heads are crested by fasciation, cockscombs. The plants are well known in East Africa’s highlands and are used under their Swahili name, mfungu.

Gattu N'Coco

india
Thanks on this....i was torn between the scarlett sage and celosia. Celosia/cockscomb has a lot of varieties... tks.

Wiki. - Celosia is a small genus of edible and ornamental plants in the amaranth family, Amaranthaceae. The generic name is derived from the Ancient Greek word κήλεος (kḗleos), meaning "burning," and refers to the flame-like flower heads. Species are commonly known as woolflowers, or, if the flower heads are crested by fasciation, cockscombs. The plants are well known in East Africa’s highlands and are used under their Swahili name, mfungu.
So is it safe? I can't find it on tortoise table

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So is it safe? I can't find it on tortoise table

The general rule of thumb is that unless it says it’s safe for tortoise consumption you don’t feed it. There are plenty of things about that are safe; so don’t risk it.

Organic doesn’t automatically make it safe either. It just means certain standards have bern met with regard to pesticide and fertiliser use.

Plants like these are grown for ornamental value not for food use and, even if a type that can be fed, should be repotted in clean compost and grown on for several months before feed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Most amaranths are listed as “do not feed” in the tortoise table.

That said, there are owners that feed different varieties without worry; I’m one of them. The variety fed here is often wild lambs quarters. The Tortoise Table is a great resource, especially for new owners, but it is quite conservative.

The one you’ve bought is regularly eaten by humans but that doesn’t mean it’s automatically right for tortoises. As a new owner, you’ll probably feel best not feeding it. Definitely not until it’s grown out, like JoesMum mentioned.

Gattu N'Coco

india
The general rule of thumb is that unless it says it’s safe for tortoise consumption you don’t feed it. There are plenty of things about that are safe; so don’t risk it.

Organic doesn’t automatically make it safe either. It just means certain standards have bern met with regard to pesticide and fertiliser use.

Plants like these are grown for ornamental value not for food use and, even if a type that can be fed, should be repotted in clean compost and grown on for several months before feed.
Do you have any idea about the species "torentia fournieri" blues wings. That's what I found about the blue flowers above there.. are those safe?