which brand is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
so, i went to the pet store today and there are a few different choices for uvb bulbs. the mer ury vapor bulbs are so expensive but dont have to be replaced as often as the others......should i get a tube bulb or a coil bulb or a mercury vapor bulb? i want to get the best bang formy buck ;) the guy at the pet store just confused me more.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Definitely go with the MVB. The coil bulbs cause eye damage in young tortoises and lizards, the tube doesn't offer enough UVB.

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
ok, so does it matter if i buy a mvb for $70 or find one on amazon for $24? might seem silly for me to ask but im just so new to this :p and what wattage?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
The MVB's are less expensive on amazon or try eBay!! They work the best!! I have 4 little torties with hard shells who were inside all winter!!! :p

rayphil

5 Year Member
Im also new to this and was wondering along with the wattage, how many domes would be best and what factors into it..number of tortoises and how large the enclosure is??thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
MVBs are by far the best. Honestly, I don't know if one brand works better than any other. I've used several and they all work. If your tortoise gets real sun for at least part of the year, its a lot less critical.

Rayphil, you already answered your own question. The larger the enclosure and the cooler the room temps, the bigger the wattage and more domes you'll need. Your thermometer will answer those questions better than any person.

Status
Not open for further replies.