Which cooler for my Russian tortoise?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
The more advanced vet is 2 hours from here. I want to be prepared and a cooler since I don't own a car and might need to rely on a bus and having to put Edward in the cargo section (not heated).

Edward weighs 500g and his SCL is 4.7 inches. I worry about the cooler not being able to hold heat or him running out of air.

These are the ones available to me apart from the styrox ones. Which cooler should I get? (it is fine if the answer is neither):

4.5L

or

11L

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not put him in a cargo section of a bus in your climate. Too many things can go wrong.

You'd have to do your own testing with any cooler to see how well it holds heat and whether or not there is enough air exchange.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
whether or not there is enough air exchange.
Sorry for a stupid question, how to I test whether or not there is enough air exhange?
I would not put him in a cargo section of a bus in your climate. Too many things can go wrong.
Okay, I will avoid it at all costs. Unfortunately, only rare buses allow pets indoors, but there is one at least once or twice a day going that way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just wrap him up in several layers of cloth, the one closest to his body being a disposable diaper, and hold him inside your jacket.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Just wrap him up in several layers of cloth, the one closest to his body being a disposable diaper, and hold him inside your jacket.
I imagine he would be squirming the whole time 😅 So basically, your advice is that if it came down to it, it would be the best for me to smuggle him into the bus?

There are of course vets closer, but they don't really have tortoise experience. There is just one 24 hour in both of the cities close to me, (both the same chain) neither experienced in tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Even if you used the cooler, just act like it's food in it. Don't tell anyone it's an animal. Throw blankets or towels in it so he can't make noise clunking about. I would drill some holes in the cooler.
You could also do as Yvonne mentioned but put him in a cloth reusable shopping bag. If you wrap him up right, he shouldn't really be able to move around much.

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
I have seen hand warmers were used sometimes for transporting tortoise in cold climate. Pre-heated cooling pads or water bottles can work too.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I imagine he would be squirming the whole time 😅 So basically, your advice is that if it came down to it, it would be the best for me to smuggle him into the bus?

There are of course vets closer, but they don't really have tortoise experience. There is just one 24 hour in both of the cities close to me, (both the same chain) neither experienced in tortoises.
lol to be honest yeah if it’s the only way of you getting there and for him to be with you(plus the added bonus of body heat😂)then it might be the way to go, I’m betting he might be a bit squirmy too🥲I’d wrap him so you know his back end is completely secure in a ‘pouch’ the diaper or maybe a puppy pad being the first layer, that way if he poops or is kicking him little back leggies, there’s not much he can do😅then I get some sort of pouch bag that can go around your body, wrap him securely in some cloth so he’s nice and protected, place him so he’s not vertical against you body if that makes sense lol, I can’t imagine that’d be comfy for him. Then pop your jacket loosely over top haha, leave the zip open for more air😊
IMG_3339.jpeg

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
I don't own a car and might need to rely on a bus and having to put Edward in the cargo section (not heated).
Was looking up the regulations on this and found out that the cabin section has to have the minimum temperature of 13C all the time, that is about 55F. But there was no regulations about the cargo section which leads me to assume that is not heated.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Was looking up the regulations on this and found out that the cabin section has to have the minimum temperature of 13C all the time, that is about 55F. But there was no regulations about the cargo section which leads me to assume that is not heated.
I wouldn’t want to risk it personally

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
lol to be honest yeah if it’s the only way of you getting there and for him to be with you(plus the added bonus of body heat😂)then it might be the way to go, I’m betting he might be a bit squirmy too🥲I’d wrap him so you know his back end is completely secure in a ‘pouch’ the diaper or maybe a puppy pad being the first layer, that way if he poops or is kicking him little back leggies, there’s not much he can do😅then I get some sort of pouch bag that can go around your body, wrap him securely in some cloth so he’s nice and protected, place him so he’s not vertical against you body if that makes sense lol, I can’t imagine that’d be comfy for him. Then pop your jacket loosely over top haha, leave the zip open for more air😊
View attachment 380156
I have seen hand warmers were used sometimes for transporting tortoise in cold climate. Pre-heated cooling pads or water bottles can work too.
I feel like the pouch with a warm bottle of water could work quite nicely😊if it’s a longer journey, have some hand warmers once the water bottle cools