Which enclosure for my Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
Friends,
Please advise me which enclosure would make a better home for my Stars. Also any pros or cons on each setup?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Those are both very nice enclosures! Personally, I like the second picture. What is that made out of? And do you know the prices of both? Also, what is the size of the second one?

Yvonne

samstar

5 Year Member

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aesthetics is always a personal choice. If you are planning to keep it in the main part of the house and want it as part of your decor, then, yes, the glass-fronted one is prettier.

Yvonne

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I don't know much about stars, but I know that my Russian does not understand the concept of glass and would try to go right through that glass front part. I think the first one would be a safer choice.

I think they're both beautiful, but I definitely think the second one is more aesthetically pleasing.

samstar

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
I don't know much about stars, but I know that my Russian does not understand the concept of glass and would try to go right through that glass front part. I think the first one would be a safer choice.

I think they're both beautiful, but I definitely think the second one is more aesthetically pleasing.

If I get the second one, I would tape up the lower part of the glass

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would worry about the size in the long term (you will eventually need larger, and why spend a lot of money on something you will upgrade in a few years). I think an open tortoise table is a better option for Stars. I think terrariums are better for species who need a constant temperature and higher humidity as they are more difficult to stabilize a temperature gradient in, and mostly for the pleasure of the owner. I would recommend an even larger tortoise table enclosure, so you can block of most of it for now, and expand it as the two torts grow. I would also want to use a separate stand for lighting so it is more adjustable, in both the vertical and horizontal directions, so you can get the proper gradient.

Tables are quite easy to build yourself, even with just a hammer and nails. I had the home improvement store cut the wood and we just nailed it together, tapping the nails down under the wood and covering them up. Put in brackets for more support, and it is very aesthetically pleasing. I found that the commercially available tables did not meet my needs as I wanted it a custom size to fit exactly on a piece of furniture we bought to put it on.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I would worry about the size in the long term (you will eventually need larger, and why spend a lot of money on something you will upgrade in a few years). I think an open tortoise table is a better option for Stars. I think terrariums are better for species who need a constant temperature and higher humidity as they are more difficult to stabilize a temperature gradient in, and mostly for the pleasure of the owner. I would recommend an even larger tortoise table enclosure, so you can block of most of it for now, and expand it as the two torts grow. I would also want to use a separate stand for lighting so it is more adjustable, in both the vertical and horizontal directions, so you can get the proper gradient.

Tables are quite easy to build yourself, even with just a hammer and nails. I had the home improvement store cut the wood and we just nailed it together, tapping the nails down under the wood and covering them up. Put in brackets for more support, and it is very aesthetically pleasing. I found that the commercially available tables did not meet my needs as I wanted it a custom size to fit exactly on a piece of furniture we bought to put it on.

Your 100% correct, the terrarium is more for viewing pleasure while the box is much more practical, easier to clean. I am looking at a 5x3ft at the minimum and am planning to build one myself within the next 5-6 months tops. How's 5x3ft for 2 adult Stars?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I don't know Stars and was speaking more in general terms. In short, I believe in making more of an investment rather then spending more money over time with multiple enclosures that can't be re-used. If you can quote their maximum adult SCL I could give you a guess based on other species and what people recommend for enclosures. So you'd really buy this table and then build something in 6 months? Wow. I'd assume these cost a couple hundred dollars or so....

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
I don't know Stars and was speaking more in general terms. In short, I believe in making more of an investment rather then spending more money over time with multiple enclosures that can't be re-used. If you can quote their maximum adult SCL I could give you a guess based on other species and what people recommend for enclosures. So you'd really buy this table and then build something in 6 months? Wow. I'd assume these cost a couple hundred dollars or so....

My stars are still very young, around 2 inches tops in length. I plan on shifting them when they get slightly bigger, say 6 months time but I would like to plan now.

samstar

5 Year Member
I just got a quote from my contractor for the same design tortoisetable in my 1st post attachment above but bigger, it's 6ft x 3ft x 1.5ft for US$320.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Cool! So do I understand correctly this enclosure is for use in 6 months time? How long do you plan to use it? For a few years, or for as long as it lasts (when your torts are full grown)? I was asking how large Stars grow as adults to estimate what size enclosure you will want down the road. Then, as long as you are investing hundreds of dollars, you can get the big enclosure now and put up a divider to only use part of it until they grown into it more. That would be my suggestion. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of money and then need to upgrade in a few years, as you should because the enclosure should not "shrink" for a tortoise (the effect you get when a tort grows and the enclosure stays the same size). The 1.5 ft height is awesome. That is what I have and is a lot of height to work with for deep substrate and ensures the tort cannot climb out even when full grown and climbing on cage furnishings.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Cool! So do I understand correctly this enclosure is for use in 6 months time? How long do you plan to use it? For a few years, or for as long as it lasts (when your torts are full grown)? I was asking how large Stars grow as adults to estimate what size enclosure you will want down the road. Then, as long as you are investing hundreds of dollars, you can get the big enclosure now and put up a divider to only use part of it until they grown into it more. That would be my suggestion. Otherwise, you may spend a lot of money and then need to upgrade in a few years, as you should because the enclosure should not "shrink" for a tortoise (the effect you get when a tort grows and the enclosure stays the same size). The 1.5 ft height is awesome. That is what I have and is a lot of height to work with for deep substrate and ensures the tort cannot climb out even when full grown and climbing on cage furnishings.

I have decided on the tortoise table and with a 5x3x1.5ft. Maybe a 6ft in length. I will build this for them to grow into adults.

samstar

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:

Stars grow 5-6"(Males), 7-8"(Females). This is a one time permanent build. I will play around with the interior so they wont get bored.

Status
Not open for further replies.