Which Exoterra light bulb should I use?

Mvroccan

Location (City and/or State)
Rotterdam
Hi everyone,

Im planning to get a 1 year old Hermanns tortoise after I do the needed research and know im completely ready
I already did a lot of research in everything but lights still confuse me a lot.
I wanted to ask yall which basking light bulb by exoterra would be best to use for him/her that covers everything, from heat to uv etc. And how much watt it should be.
Thank you in advance!

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Kudos to you for asking BEFORE you get the tortoise--thats 95% of the game! ;) Read the attached (comprehensive) care sheet and ask as many questions as you need answered.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,

Im planning to get a 1 year old Hermanns tortoise after I do the needed research and know im completely ready
I already did a lot of research in everything but lights still confuse me a lot.
I wanted to ask yall which basking light bulb by exoterra would be best to use for him/her that covers everything, from heat to uv etc. And how much watt it should be.
Thank you in advance!
None of them. Get your basking bulb from a hardware store. Get your CHE or radiant heat panel from a pet store or online source. Get your HO UV tube from a pet store or online source. Finally, get your ambient lighting, usually LED, from the hardware store. There is no Exoterra bulb I would recommend for a tortoise.

Here is a simplified heating and lighting explanation:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you need indoor UV die to living in a cold climate with frozen winters, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
None of them. Get your basking bulb from a hardware store. Get your CHE or radiant heat panel from a pet store or online source. Get your HO UV tube from a pet store or online source. Finally, get your ambient lighting, usually LED, from the hardware store. There is no Exoterra bulb I would recommend for a tortoise.

Here is a simplified heating and lighting explanation:
There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you need indoor UV die to living in a cold climate with frozen winters, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. I like the 12% HO bulbs from Arcadia. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html
Thanks, Tom
I agree