Which of these bulbs is best?

kobemega

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
This would be for a Hermann tortoise, approximately 8-10 months old in an indoor enclosure that is about 5x2 feet tortoise table (dresser laying on its side).

I need to know which bulb of these three would best fulfill the UVB requirement (and not deliver "too much" UVA). (Or if none of them would be good, I'd like to know that, too.)

1. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006346G0/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

2. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YJ3BE/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

3. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFROMQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

This is the basking light I have:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFROMQ/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't like any of the tubes. I have a mercury vapor bulb 100 w. It also acts as a basking bulb. But, what you also need is a heat bulb w/o light. A ceramic heat emitter is what you need for the nights.

Also, all tortoises need a certain amount of humidity. you can achieve that by putting some sort of cover on top of the table. Lamps/lights could be fitted into the top cover, depending on what you'll use as a cover.

mikeh

5 Year Member
The link provided for your basking light is UVB light, does not produce heat. In general basking light is understood as heat light. If your tort has access to natural sunlight couple hours a week, you don't need any artificial UVB.

In any case, according to tests Zilla has a very poor UVB and very high UVA ratio, even the improved version. Last choice of the three. Zoomed would be the best choice of the three.
All UVB tubes produce UVA. MVB bulbs and low quality tubes produce very high UVA ratios. Arcadia T5 3D+ tests show overall most ideal UVB output, UVB short/long wave ratios and UVB/UVA ratios, of anything that's on the market. Arcadia is the most expensive but is closest in replicating suns spectrum, tubes last for a full year rather then 6 months. Zoomed T5 HO is second runner up.
There is only one supplier in the US for Arcadia. I do like the Arcadia UVB tubes and do recommend them. However, I purchased them long with their T5 HO fixture which is running much hotter then Zoomed or New Wave T5 HO fixtures. I'd skip on the fixture if you decide on Arcadia.
Reflectors on fixture are important as well. Zoomed reflectors are sub par, look for fixtures with specular aluminum reflectors.
5x2 enclosure will handle 48" fixture, you can even go 48" double fixture with UVB light and 5400k light to balance the cool temp light of the UVB, believe its7200k.

kobemega

5 Year Member
Michigan
Just realized I posted the wrong link for the basking bulb I have. This is the right link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AR3NU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

A couple questions about the replies I've gotten so far:
I was under the impression that you didn't need a heat lamp at night, because in their natural environment temps get down to as low as 50.
Regarding the humidity, I plan on having a bunch of live plants in there and keeping them watered. I'm also going to have some moss kept moist on one of his hideouts, in addition to his daily soaking. Would that be sufficient humidity or should I plan on spraying him once or twice a day as well? I want him to have enough moisture, but I've also heard that too much can give them respiratory problems.
Last thing, I've heard a few people say MVBs aren't the best choice for hatchlings because it means they only get UVB while actively basking under the bulb. During the spring and summer, he will get natural sun outside, but I live in Michigan so for nearly 5 months a year, going outside won't be possible for him.

I realize there are many different methods for dealing with lighting, so I'm just trying to hear as many opinions as I can so I can find which method would be best for him and easiest for me. Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it!

mikeh

5 Year Member
IMO mvb is not ideal primary UVB source, one for the reason you mention. They also deem unreliable in their UVB life span and UVB amount produced/ claimed by the manufacturer. Unless you own a UVB meter and can measure the output on regular bases, I'd be hesitant to rely on MVB.

With live plants you may need that much more light. With couple long tubes one being UVB tube you can create a nice sun canopy, spot shade around the plants, and even lighting thru out the surface)
(I use two 46" tubes evenly spaced out in a 4x2 set up with few plants, it works out quite nicely, gives the tort choice of light variety and a pleasant appeal to the eye)

I am not familiar with housing Hermanni. However, even with 50F ambient at night, an inch or two underground where torts may burrow for the night, temps may be significantly higher. Good person to pm with the question would be hermannichris.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Your tort does not need night time heat unless your indoor temps drop below 50F at night.

I use a 160 watt powersun mvb for my yearling and am very happy with it.

I recommend you partially cover the top. Works better than spraying the substrate all the time. The extra humidity you get by partially covering the top should also help counteract any negative effects from heat the mvb gives off.