1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

which sub species of Galapagos are common in US market ?

Discussion in 'Galapagos and Chaco tortoises' started by enchilada, Feb 8, 2017.

1. enchilada

enchilada Well-Known Member

ive seen them for sale at Las Vegas and San diego stores, which sub species ?
  2. naturalman91

naturalman91 Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Sub species of galapagos tortoise is just determined by what island they're found in isn't it? Anyway I'm not sure I'd risk something like that as a "store" purchase I would go through a breeder
  3. William Lee Kohler

William Lee Kohler Active Member

I've asked this of the two reputable breeders I've had any contact with and they "guessed" at it. My disappointment was that their guesses did not include any of the saddleback nor even semi saddleback races. My opinion is that you could not know for sure without an actual genetic test and they are likely crossbreeds. Some islands have more than one race on them and Wolf Volcano has several.
  4. Tom C

Tom C Member

I think most of the Galapagos in the United States were descendants of the original Townsend expedition in the 1920's. Unfortunately not even the zoos that held the animals kept accurate breeding records (but we are talking about about 100 years now). There is a current project trying to determine the lineages of the captive Galapagos population by genetic testing.
    Will likes this.
  5. tortadise

tortadise Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member

The last saddleback in the US was shipped back to Darwin station for breeding purposes. Most of those that are in the breeders collection now case from Life Fellowship. Most of what they had are wolf and becki. I know some have been genetically tested in Florida populations. Unless privately kept all the saddlebacks were sent back to the island to reinstate of the pinta genetic population.