Which Subspecies can tolerate colder climate?

GuavaGirl

Which greek tortoises might be better able to tolerate a cold dry climate? (while still bringing them inside at night and during the winter) I read something that said some types of greek tortoises would be a good option for my climate zone and I'm wondering which ones. (googling wasn't helpful)
Thanks!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I think one of the Mediterranean tortoises. My experience is with Russians & hermann's, & either would be fine.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ibera Greeks are well suited for colder climates. Especially those from more northern locales. Some of ours have hibernated under feet of snow and have been subjected to 7 month long COLD winters. Eastern Hermanns and Russians also handle winters well with Marginateds not far behind in the running.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
The testudo guru @HermanniChris has spoken! lol.... I agree with Chris. I live in San Francisco where our weather is unpredictable! We are lucky if the temperature reaches up to 80 degrees here in the middle of summer! I've had no issues with my greeks aslong as you have a nice cold frame. ^_^ Our temps averages between 70-80 in the summer. Inside my cold frame it reaces up to 90-95 degrees which they need to digest their foods. Night time is at 63-65ish and they still live outside with no problems at all! Ibera greeks are tanks!