which tort breed should I get (marginated tortoise owners please reply)

Annac

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
My beautiful horsfield George passed away very sadly last week and so I am looking to get a new tort. I would like to get one from my original seller, who sells both Horsfields and Marginated. I am very used to Horsfields, but I don't want to be reminded of George, so am thinking of getting a marginated. George was very curious and never remotely aggressive, are marginated tortoises of a similar temperament or should stick to what I am used to?

Thanks,

Anna

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I do NOT own a marginated (I'm sorry!) but I have heard they are the sweetest things! I'm also a big fan of their shell, very pretty. I do have to say, though, marginated torts get a little bigger than russians, so be prepared to be mostly keeping him in a very large indoor area, or outside most of the time.
http://www.reptilecentre.com/files_care_marginated_tortoise

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm wondering why George passed away.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's just too sad. I'm so sorry for your loss.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have marginated. He is a full grown male. I have only one. I got him last summer at a local show. He is also not aggressive. We can feed him off our hand and pick him up to play with (only sometime).

This is he.....

003 (1).JPG 003 (3).JPG 003 (4).JPG 003 (5).JPG

Annac

London, UK
Oh he's gorgeous, thank you for sharing. Definitely will be getting some marginateds. He looks like a real character.

Annac

London, UK
Usually calium deficiency or not enough UV light, try increasing these and bathing him daily. Babies in general tend to have softer shells anyway though