Which tort is best for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafaela

5 Year Member
Hello all! I am (clearly) new here, and joined to get some expert advice while choosing a new member of my animal family. :) any help is appreciated!

I have limited turt/tort experience, we rescued 3 box turtles from a friend (which involved stealing them off her front porch at 2am after finding one who had apparently died of dehydration/starvation.) I built an 8' x 15' outdoor enclosure for them and nursed them back to good health. Once they were all eating and "hunting" and functioning well I released them into my back woods (approx 1 mile from where they were caught). I did a lot of research and really adored the little guys but made sure to keep as hands off as possible so that they could be released. However, they sparked a land turtle/tort love and I've wanted a Tort since.

I live in southern ky on the tn border and have a moderate climate. High 90s in the summer, teens in the winter. It is fairly humid in the spring and relatively dry in the summer. I am looking for a mid-sized tort, not small like a Russian but not huge like a sulcata. Obviously one that doesn't require extreme levels of expertise, and that is moderately friendly at least when well socialized. I have plans to build a tort table for the winter and still have the outdoor wnclosure for the summer. I would prefer a species I could keep outside all the time, bit with the exception of the eastern box (which is illegal) haven't found any species that would survive.

What tort do you all think would be right for me. I am all for building a larger enclosure outdoors if necessary. Just want to consider climate etc. Are there any other considerations I'm maybe not focusing on that I should be? Thank you in advance for your help!!

<3 Rafi

P.S. I am leaning towards a redfoot

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
There are several types and sizes of greeks that are pretty hardy and easy to look after, Also you have the Hermans,
cherry head, Pardalis, indian star,

But i think the best suited to someone without to much experience would be the greeks,Herman or the russian,
I know you don't want one that is as small as a russian, but it will be one of the best suited to you, to start with.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I would not go with a redfoot if the summers are hot and dry and winters are cold unless you bring it in for the winter and create something like a greenhouse for the summer. If you want something low maintenance with those temperatures go with a greek, hermann, or russian. They can stay in an outside enclosure all year long and hibernate for months outside in a burrow or you can hibernate them inside when adults. If you get a hatchling you should only let him stay outside after about a year inside so he can grow.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Redfoots are great, but they are native to the tropical savannas and rain forests of South America. I had one in southern Florida where the weather is warm and humid for most of the year. Kentucky and Tennessee do have warm and humid summers, but then the winters get cold and dry. So, you could keep a redfoot outdoors during late spring and summer, maybe even into early autumn, but then it would have to be overwintered indoors, as they do not brumate (hibernate).

Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca) are capable of brumating, but that depends on their origin. Greek tortoises native to the southern coast of the Mediterranean Sea do not brumate, as the weather is rather nice year-round, while those from farther away from the Sea do brumate.

Hermann tortoises (T. hermanni) are native to the northern Mediterranean coast and a few countries to the north, so they do brumate throughout their range, and are also capable of tolerating higher levels of humidity than Greek tortoises.

Russian tortoises (T. horsfieldii) are the farthest-north-ranging tortoise in the world; as their name implies, they hail from the steppes of central Asia. Consequently, they have the greatest tolerance for cold at night, and can brumate through the long, northern winter. However, being from the steppes, they do not tolerate humidity as well as Hermann's tortoise does.

Based on where you live, I would recommend the Hermann tortoise as the most suitable for your climate. And by they way, they are not that small. They are the second-largest species in the genus Testudo (after the marginated tortoise, T. marginata, which is a desert species), with the females getting to be about a foot long.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rafi:

Welcome to the forum!!

One of our foremost Redfoot breeders here on the forum lives in Tennesee, Redfoot Nerd. He breeds them and sells the babies all the time. If he can do it on such a large scale, I'm sure you would be able to do it with only one. Be sure to look at his web site (turtletary.com)

Good luck with your quest.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Greek tortoises (Testudo graeca) are capable of brumating, but that depends on their origin. Greek tortoises native to the southern coast of the Mediterranean Sea do not brumate, as the weather is rather nice year-round, while those from farther away from the Sea do brumate.
[/']
Actually the southern Greek do hibernate, here in Spain, their natural habitat, they will hibernate during the months of October/ November to march/April.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome and let us know what you decide. Thanks for taking the time to rescue and release the Boxies. I am sure will do well with whatever you choose.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
bikerchicspain said:
Actually the southern Greek do hibernate, here in Spain, their natural habitat, they will hibernate during the months of October/ November to march/April.

LOL ... Those are northern Greek tortoises! :) Greek tortoises on the southern coast of the Mediterranean Sea in countries like Morocco, Tunisia, and Libya don't brumate, although they may aestivate during the very hot part of the summer. However, those populations found at altitude in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco do brumate during the colder winter there.

Rafaela

5 Year Member
Wow what a fantastic plethora of information! You guys are great!! I have been scouring the Internet for information on which would do the best outside, but there is little If any that I have been able to find. The specific answers you gave me are wonderful and wil greatly help me in my decision! When I get home to my computer I'm sure I will have more questions!
Again, thank you all so very much!

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
GeoTerraTestudo said:
bikerchicspain said:

LOL ... Those are northern Greek tortoises! :) Greek tortoises on the southern coast of the Mediterranean Sea in countries like Morocco, Tunisia, and Libya don't brumate, although they may aestivate during the very hot part of the summer. However, those populations found at altitude in the Atlas Mountains of Morocco do brumate during the colder winter there.

ok so i got my souths mixed up ,but its south for me lol:D
But my tunisian Mini hibernates, Although i didn't let her this year..:D

Rafaela

5 Year Member
So!
After re-reading and a few extra google searches, I think that the herman's is probably best for my climate and could survive outdoors year round. However, I am disappointed with the size. Geo-terra, you said a foot long, but most of what I am pulling up says 5-7 inches. Any ideas? Size is really important to me, If I thought a sulcata would do even remotely well in my climate that is what I would get, =p or an Aldabra even. I live on 4 acres of land and so have plenty of room to make as big of an enclosure as desired. The redfoots and burmese mountain seem more suitable all around, when considering size and climate. Do burmese mountain's hibernate? I really don't MIND having them indoors for a few months out of the year at all. But would prefer for their sake that they be able to live as natural a life as possible.
Any suggestions on where to buy a tort?

Thanks again!![/align]

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Rafaela said:
So!
After re-reading and a few extra google searches, I think that the herman's is probably best for my climate and could survive outdoors year round. However, I am disappointed with the size. Geo-terra, you said a foot long, but most of what I am pulling up says 5-7 inches. Any ideas? Size is really important to me, If I thought a sulcata would do even remotely well in my climate that is what I would get, =p or an Aldabra even. I live on 4 acres of land and so have plenty of room to make as big of an enclosure as desired. The redfoots and burmese mountain seem more suitable all around, when considering size and climate. Do burmese mountain's hibernate? I really don't MIND having them indoors for a few months out of the year at all. But would prefer for their sake that they be able to live as natural a life as possible.

Thanks again!![/align]

Nowadays, all the really big tortoises are from islands (Galapagos and Aldabra) or deserts (Africa's Sahel). There was a time when very large tortoises were found in the temperate zone. There used to be giant tortoises of the genus Hesperotestudo (related to today's Gopherus species) that lived in North America. However, like a lot of other large animals, they went extinct right around the time people arrived, probably due to over-hunting. There is evidence that people used to flip them onto their backs and cook them in their own shells, like a BBQ. :(

But even that giant tortoise lived in the relatively warm, dry climate of the Great Plains. The only tortoises that could ever live in a cold climate would have to be medium- to small-sized because, being cold-blooded, they are the only tortoises that could dig down to hibernate in the relative warmth, humidity, and safety of a deep underground burrow. The sulcata (third largest tortoise, from the Sahel) is a good burrower, so there may have once been a similarly sized, burrowing tortoise in North America during the Pleistocene (there is some debate about this). Whatever their niche, they are now extinct. The only remaining tortoises in North America (Gopherus spp.) come from the southern part of the US. The gopher tortoise (G. polyphemus) comes from the southeastern US. They grow to be about 10-12 inches long, but they come from much farther south than Kentucky/Tennessee, so I doubt they would survive the winters up there. Besides, they are endangered, and one must apply for a license to keep them.

As for the Hermann tortoise (Testudo hermanni), there are two subspecies. One is the western T. hermanni hermanni, and the other is the eastern T. hermanni boettgeri. The western subspecies is smaller, reaching only about 7 inches. It is the eastern subspecies that is larger, growing to 11 inches in length. Based on where they are from (Eastern Europe), their native climate is probably more similar to your climate in Kentucky/Tennessee than that of any other tortoise. I think the eastern Hermann tortoise would be best for you.

Rafaela

5 Year Member
It seems most are in agreement then, and the 11 inches will suit me just fine. I just really don't want a super wee one (5 inches). I will start looking at hermans more seriously. Thank you for that educational post GeoTerra I really appreciate the time you and others have taken to help me with this decision!!

Rafaela

5 Year Member
I am in the search for a captive bred herman's. How do you all feel about the websites like tortoiseshack.com? Are these essentially puppy mills for torts that I should not support or are they decent? Can anyone give me any other resources for purchasing one. I already searched for rescues in my area and the closest is a n adult sulcata in illinois lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do a post in the wanted section here on the forum. There are some fantastic breeders right here at home.

BTW, not pushing at all, but a sulcata would do great in your climate as long as there was a heated retreat for winter and cold nights.

If you want one that will just hibernate through the winter then the Eastern Hermanns recommended about, is probably your best bet.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
Rafaela said:
So!

Thanks again!![/align]

Why dont you go for the pardalis, they are big but not huge, and they are very pleasing to the eye, there are a few members on here that have them so i am sure they will let you know everything you need to know about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.