Which tort is right for me

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If i had kinda a let's say "reptile room" could I keep a lizard and tort in the same room just not the same cage. I'd never let them interact but I'm assuming they have similar temperature need so keeping them in one room would be much easier.

This completely depends on which species you end up with. If they come from similar areas and have similar environmental requirements, then it will work great.

tortoisenotturtle

Washington
Man everybody has been so helpful. And though my original hope was to have a little buddy I don't mind leaving him be. That's not a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a move and I can't get the tort until after otherwise I'd love to look into the ad that was linked. I've looked at red foot and cherry heads alot which I'm a little confused about the differences between them. I've also been looking at hermanns alot. I would get a Russian because I hear their great starters but I have a desire to be a bit different and that seems to be what most people get from places like petco.But that doesn't change the fact that I just wanna tort that will work best for my living environment. I know most people have definitions of "plenty" but my place used to be an industrial work space that we're cleaning up so i definitly can give all the indoor space it needs. But at the same time he will be far from any kind of "industrial" tools and what not i can provide a private calm area.This forum is just so great so much helpful info!

Hermes

Lake Butler, Fl
Man everybody has been so helpful. And though my original hope was to have a little buddy I don't mind leaving him be. That's not a deal breaker for me. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of a move and I can't get the tort until after otherwise I'd love to look into the ad that was linked. I've looked at red foot and cherry heads alot which I'm a little confused about the differences between them. I've also been looking at hermanns alot. I would get a Russian because I hear their great starters but I have a desire to be a bit different and that seems to be what most people get from places like petco.But that doesn't change the fact that I just wanna tort that will work best for my living environment. I know most people have definitions of "plenty" but my place used to be an industrial work space that we're cleaning up so i definitly can give all the indoor space it needs. But at the same time he will be far from any kind of "industrial" tools and what not i can provide a private calm area.This forum is just so great so much helpful info!

I don't have much experience with Red foots but according to this article they the same as cherry heads, except that when people call them cherry head they usually charge more for them lol might not be completely accurate but that's what I read.

http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/species-information-2/chelonoidis/red-footed-cherry-head/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Tortoises are awesome animals, and I can't deny that sometimes I wish I could 'chill' with mine, but they just aren't into that! My sulcata enjoys following me about outside, and will tolerate a kiss or two, maybe a chin scratch, but they just aren't cuddly animals! Your tort will watch tv with you from their table, not the couch. :(
Tortoises need outside time, and your weather will influence everything, so there could be some good tort choices for you. Russians are awesome (I'm soooo not biased) and hermanns are adorable. Russians can take cooler temps, though!