Which Tortoise/ Land Turtle Should I Get?

Tanyabobanya

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I too, have heard that T.ornata ornata are hard to keep...That is not my experience...I currently keep ornata, eastern and 3 toed...all are extremely personable, easy keepers and the ornata are the best eaters. I have a large outdoor habitat with a deep pool that used to be for a large Sulcata...winters in they are kept in numerous large tortoise tables...example in the photos...
BTW...all of my turtles and tortoises are rescues or given to me already damaged. The Ornata in the close up is missing her left rear leg as an example...in fact...the humane soc in Bend Oregon called me saying they had received a male Russian tortoise who had his leg cut off by the gardener at the Mt Bachelor ski lodge. He had recovered but they didn't know how to care for him and would I come get him...so 250 miles later...I picked up a 3 legged female Ornata and brought her home...lol (secretly glad she wasn't a Russian)

View attachment 288909View attachment 288911View attachment 288912View attachment 288913

Hi,
Did you make those indoor enclosures? I need 2 like that but am not handy with building. ??‍♀️
tanya

Axelay2003

It really depends on what tortoises you prefer or would like.

I prefer redfoot tortoises for their relatively small size, personalities, colors, and ease of care in my area due to tropical weather and humidity.