Which tortoise should I consider getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Ellen

5 Year Member
I am looking at getting a tortoise and would like to hear what you have to say about the Hermann's tortoise. I was thinking about getting a Russian until I read about the Hermann's and how hardy, active and personable they were. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah so when the weather is nice I'll have it outside, but when it's cold I'll have it inside. Is there another small tortoise that you think I should consider that is out going, not shy and easy to care for? I'm looking forward to your replies. Thanks for reading.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
A Greek is a great option too. There are some subspecies of Greeks that are as small or smaller than the common Hermanns. Hermanns and Greeks require very similar care and both are great starter species. They both are very active and personable.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
Yes a hermanns is a great tortoise to have but a russian is just as easy to care for and is just as personable in my opinion every russian I have runs to me every time I come out to see them. You should also look at some greek tortoises and some marginated tortoises.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Mary Ellen said:
I am looking at getting a tortoise and would like to hear what you have to say about the Hermann's tortoise. I was thinking about getting a Russian until I read about the Hermann's and how hardy, active and personable they were. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah so when the weather is nice I'll have it outside, but when it's cold I'll have it inside. Is there another small tortoise that you think I should consider that is out going, not shy and easy to care for? I'm looking forward to your replies. Thanks for reading.

I'm of the thought that there is no finer pet tortoise than a Hermann's...other species can make a good pet, but why settle for even 2nd best? :cool:

You may get other opinions, but they're merely slightly confused... ;)

BTW, Welcome to our little skice of Heaven. :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary Ellen:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I had a russian and she was awesome, loved kids, no fear of dogs! Ran for apples, just a great all around tortoise. In defense of the others that was the 1st tortoise I owned and now I own a Sulcata so I don't know about the others :)

Terry Allan Hall said:
Mary Ellen said:

I'm of the thought that there is no finer pet tortoise than a Hermann's...other species can make a good pet, but why settle for even 2nd best? :cool:

:D LOL! so you are not at all biased too funny!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Terry Allan Hall said:

wrmitchell22 said:
:D LOL! so you are not at all biased too funny!

Biased? Not at all...

Convinced! :p

The Speedmister

5 Year Member
UK
Hi,

Russian tortoises are great pets - I have one and he has a huge personality and is very small. Russians are very food obsessed and will come running up to you with tiny, shining pebbles of eyes. . . plus, they have the most incredible beautiful faces! If you get a Russian you will need to take him out a lot to play, as he might sulk. Also, from my own experience and shock (mine is only four) the males have huge instincts to do what they would do in the wild, to find mates! They are my favourite type of tortoise though.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
As has been said before, the climate you live in should play a role in the type of tortoise you select. Both the Hermann and the Russian have neat personalities, and both would do well in Utah. However, the differences is that the Hermann can get a bit bigger and is more tolerant of humidity, while the Russian is more tolerant of cold (they can hibernate for up to 5 months!). If it were me, I would get a Russian (I already have two in neighboring Colorado), but the Hermann would be a good choice, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.