Which UVB light for Indian Star Tortoise ?

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Can’t decide which is more suitable for my 6 month old Indian Star Tortoise ?
Zoomed Reptisun T5 10.0 or T5 10.0 HO
According to the Ferguson Zone he should be in zone 3. I need that UVB to be close to a 3 from a distance of approx 12”.Advice would be appreciated.
Also there is a new product out my Zoomed
Reptisun Professional UVB/LED. I included a photo. Any feedback on that product would be great.

Attachments

• 714131BC-BFB1-4145-8FD8-7E3D390439B5.jpeg
    714131BC-BFB1-4145-8FD8-7E3D390439B5.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 2

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can’t decide which is more suitable for my 6 month old Indian Star Tortoise ?
Zoomed Reptisun T5 10.0 or T5 10.0 HO
According to the Ferguson Zone he should be in zone 3. I need that UVB to be close to a 3 from a distance of approx 12”.Advice would be appreciated.
Also there is a new product out my Zoomed
Reptisun Professional UVB/LED. I included a photo. Any feedback on that product would be great.
I agree with ZEROPILOT. I don't think there is a T5 that is not an HO.

Also, don't worry about the Ferguson zone stuff. A UVI of 5-6 for 2 hours a day is great. A UVI of 2-3 will do the job, but I'd run that 4-5 hours mid day.

Make sure you have plenty of other light for the rest of the day, and also your basking bulb.

The LED is new to the market. Few people have any experience with it yet, but everything looks good about it so far. We are waiting to see if the UVI drops off over time or not. This seems like it will be a good option, but we just do not have the experience with it yet to answer your question with 100% certainty. I can answer that Arcadia 12% HO tubes do their job and do it well, because I've been running several of them for years.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I agree with ZEROPILOT. I don't think there is a T5 that is not an HO.
There are standard T5 fixtures and bulbs, and High Output T5 fixtures and bulbs. In the UVB world we mostly see HO bulbs. But when people are buying fixtures at hardware and Home Depot stores, there must be attention to whether it is a standard or HO fixture. HO won't work in a standard fixture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are standard T5 fixtures and bulbs, and High Output T5 fixtures and bulbs. In the UVB world we mostly see HO bulbs. But when people are buying fixtures at hardware and Home Depot stores, there must be attention to whether it is a standard or HO fixture. HO won't work in a standard fixture.
The bulbs are different lengths, so they can't work. Right? An HO tube is 22" or 34" and the respective regular bulbs would be 24 or 36 inches.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The bulbs are different lengths, so they can't work. Right? An HO tube is 22" or 34" and the respective regular bulbs would be 24 or 36 inches.
No. A standard T5 bulb is 22" or 34 ", etc. An HO T5 is the same - 22" or 34", etc. SO it is confusing. They draw and require different wattage, though. But they look the same.

T8s are 24", 36", etc.

Reactions: Tom