Which wattage of blubs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clare n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex uk
I think if you are going to have it at that height, the 150 will be too much. If you find the bulb you get is too hot or not hot enough, adjust the height of the lamps... But I've read a lot of people so far have advised 100 for you.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
We have told you this multiple times. You really will not know the answer without having a temperature gun. Everyone keeps their homes at different temperatures, so it is difficult for any of us to say which wattage would be best. You could get the 75-watt, install it, take a temperature reading, only to find out it is too hot or too cold, and you'll have to return that bulb and exchange it for another of a different wattage.

This is exactly why I and a few others have repeatedly recommended getting a lower wattage bulb, and raise/lower the lamp as needed to achieve the ideal basking temps. By keeping your lamp permanently fixated at one height, you are limiting your options and basically just creating more stress/work for yourself.

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
I think the key here is experimenting. Buy a a 75 AND 100, if you are insistent at the 8-10 inches. Pop the thermometer under it, leave it a while and see. You may not get it right the first or second time but you will get there. It may cost you a bit more, but in the long run, your tortoises health is worth it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
KING, we are trying to be patient with you, but it is starting to sound like you are pulling a joke on us...

Just pick a bulb, put it in, let it run a while and then USE YOUR THERMOMETER TO SEE IF THE TEMP IS CORRECT. Then make the necessary adjustments. Every house and every enclosure is different. No one knows what wattage you need in YOUR house in YOUR tortoise enclosure. We all have to try out new equipment in the actual enclosure and make adjustments. This is why you want to buy or build an overhead lamp stand. A 35 watt bulb will work just as well as a 1000 watt bulb, as long as you adjust the height of your fixture to get the right temperature directly under it.

I don't want to discourage you from asking questions and learning, but please stop asking the same question, after getting multiple good answers. We DO want to help you, but it seems like you are not reading what we are telling you. Help us out here, man...

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I use a temperature gun to monitor temps and I hook up a simple rheostat for each heat bulb so I can turn it down or up depending on what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.