Which Weeds are Okay?

astrolia

Location (City and/or State)
Victorville CA
Good afternoon all. Perhaps fortunately, due to the neglect of our backyard lately, we've had a variety of natural weeds growing. We use no fertilizer or pesticide of any kind and live in California's high desert. I have a 22 year old Russian box tort. What can I feed her? We have the long fans (left), wide fans (middle), and ladder weeds (right). I don't know what they are or what they're called. Please advise if I should or should not feed her these! Thank you in advance.

Ps she was diagnosed with parasites a month ago and was on two rounds of medication. She seems to be doing better now, and is still eating and acting normally.

Attachments

• IMG_8746.jpg
    IMG_8746.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21

astrolia

Victorville CA
Russian box tort? Never heard of one of those. You sure he is not a Russian tortoise?
Petsmart called her a Russian Box Tortoise when I got her a decade ago, so it's what I assumed to be true. This is her, gracefully sleeping.

Attachments

• IMG_8716.jpg
    IMG_8716.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 15

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Petsmart called her a Russian Box Tortoise when I got her a decade ago, so it's what I assumed to be true. This is her, gracefully sleeping.
That is a Russian tortoise and I doubt Petco would be selling a crossbreed, as they are expensive.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The one on the far right that looks like a red oak leaf is Dandelion. Good for you and the tort. The yellow flowers are also tasty. Not sure about the other two. BTW plantain weed is coming in now and it is a big favorite

astrolia

Victorville CA
The one on the far right that looks like a red oak leaf is Dandelion. Good for you and the tort. The yellow flowers are also tasty. Not sure about the other two. BTW plantain weed is coming in now and it is a big favorite
Oh good! Is there any chance the small spikes on the stem could hurt her? I try to find the ones with the softest "spikes" when feeding her.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
We have a russian tort section. There is a care sheet, which will give you lol the info you need, including diet. Please, check it out, under species specific section. Petco knows nothing right about raising torts, as you could see, . I understand you have had her for a long time but it never hurts to learn new things to improve care. Just a thought..

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The middle leaf is probably mustard; in your area it probably comes in two varieties: 12-18 inches tall and CRIMINY! tall, up to ten feet. Both have yellow flowers and are safe, although the further we get into summer the more bitter they become and the less your tortoise may care for them. If it doesn’t turn about to be mustard it’s something in the same plant family, all are safe.

The third is a dandelion relative, perhaps hawkbit or hawksbeard. Safe. Those “spikes” are in no way harmful to your tortoise, give those tough jaws some credit. :)

The first, I don’t know. It looks familiar. It would help to have a picture of the whole plant and any flowers if has them.

L

LasTortugasNinja

1st one looks like prickly lettuce (not good). 2nd looks like a form of mustard (moderation), and dandelion species (ok)