Which zoomed bulb for Burmese Browns? Help me choose

JoshSloane

I know I have posted previusly about this, but I'm still not sure which bulb to get for my new Burmese brown. Here are the candidates:

1. Zoomed t5 HO 5.0 strip bulb about 14-15 inches away from tortoise. Will be diluted through a metal screen, and heavy plant cover in the enclosure.

2. Zoomed t8 5.0 strip bulb. About 10 inches from tort, not diluted by screen, but will have heavy plant cover in enclosure.

3. Zoomed t8 10.0 strip bulb. 14-15 inches from tort, diluted through screen and heavy plant cover in enclosure.

I understand everyone's situation is different , just looking for some ideas from what others are doing in their own enclosures. I don't want to stress the tort with too much light, but don't want to deprive him of necessary UVB. Sorry for the redundancy in posts.

Morob7

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Orleans, LA
I personally have never considered getting a UVB for my two browns. Do yours spend much time outside. In their natural habitat, Burmese mountain tortoises live mostly in shaded areas. They do like the warm sun when it is cool outdoors, but I'm more interested in providing shade for them in their outdoor enclosure. I bought mine from A breeder in Florida (Vic) who didn't think a UVB was necessary if they were spending time outside. He said if I did get one that I shouldn't get a strong bulb. Before I built their outdoor enclosure, I would take them out in the yard to walk and get some sun exposure 3-4 times a week. They seemed to spend 5-10 minutes at the most in the sun before looking for a place to hide. That being said, I do give them vitamin D with calcium. If you are in a colder climate and can't take them outdoors for long periods during winter, you may not be able to do the same that I am doing. Maybe someone else can chime in.

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
I raised all of mine indoors without UVB for the first year. I supplemented once per week with calcium and D3.

JoshSloane

Yeah, I know they prefer heavily shaded areas so that's why I'm conflicted on light source. I will be able to get them outside dependably from about April through October. I'm in Colorado, so we even have nice days during the winter where the sun is shining and it's 60 degrees.

I'm also thinking that if there were long stretches that I couldn't take the brown mt tort outside I could let him 'sun' a bit in my young sulcatas enclosure that has a UVB bulb. Thinking I could put the brown mt in a separate tub with a lid, punch some holes in the lid, add some shrubbery for shade, and put it with the tort inside the sulcata enclosure under the UVB just for a half hour or so to let him get some filtered UVB. I will also supplement with calcium and vitamin D.

Morob7

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
Sounds to me that you should be fine with the resources you have already. Just give calcium and vitamin D once a week. I usually add it to the Mazuri tortoise diet that they get once a week.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
I also concur with Morob7 about these torts not needing the uv light bulb.
I got my Meps from Vic M. and no uv light was mentioned to be needed, most important was good greens, warm temps, high humidity with circulation.

If you really want to put a uvb light fixture in, go with the lightest one.
Congrats on your Mees!