Whistle breathing Sulcata

Stitchers

Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, Wv
My sulcata tortoise “Tator” is 3.5 years old he weighs 5.5 pounds (2.35 kilos).

He whistles when he breathes... It’s been there since he was a baby but the larger he gets the louder the whistle is.

It is most noticeable when eating or after exercise... Its almost as if his nostrils aren’t big enough for when he needs to breathe more.

He doesn’t have a respiratory infection (unless they can have one for 3.5 years and still live)
No discharge from nostrils or eyes.

What does the group think?

Google Drive Video Link

40713273-0E3B-4B96-969D-723A95B24B30.jpeg

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utica. MI
My tortoise also does this sometimes, when he is sleeping or actively "running" outside. I agree it does sound like their nostrils aren't big enough! my tortoise has had it his whole life also, he is going to be 8 this year and about 60lbs easy.. it's gone away some, but it just seems to be agitated when he is sleeping/resting or "running" haha I am following, super interested to see what the rest of the community says.

I thought the substrate would play a role, and it might in your case, but it did not change with my case so i will be excited to see what they do say. Tator looks pretty healthy and hearty.. so is my Gibby, my only real concern is are they overweight? lol, I will have to take an updated picture of mine. Tator doesn't look it chubby, plus a growing baby boy needs lots of food haha