white between the scutes...new growth too fast or fungus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I have seen a few red foots available latley that seem to have a good 1/4 inch of white between all the scutes on thier top shell.... Nothing on the plastron and eating/acting fine but still they arent all black and it isnt any kind of marbeling.....
Is this new growth or a fungus? too much/too little humidity? can it be fixed?
Thanks for your time :)
frank006.jpg

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Or lime in your water? Mine has lime deposits that look something like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mel:

New growth on a tortoise usually IS white, darkening with age. But the space between the scutes on the tortoise in the picture tells me that the tortoise has been kept too dry.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I had to ask as ive never seen this before and google didnt help much....
This guy is 12" long and his head and legs are double the size of any of my other 12" red foots.... his head is bigger than a golf ball.... so I was wondeing if maybe he was power fed before???
he is 11 years old and I know both the owner and the breeder to back up all records.... Was kept well ect ect but really a giant as far as inside the shell size and this with biz on his shell....
I keep mine super humid and swampy and Ive started the vita shell on the white areas to try and speed it along.....
But I would love to know exactly what it is :)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
emysemys said:
Hi Mel:

New growth on a tortoise usually IS white, darkening with age. But the space between the scutes on the tortoise in the picture tells me that the tortoise has been kept too dry.
...or he's being soaked in tap water...chlorine will dry out that new growth, as well!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
DeanS said:
emysemys said:
Hi Mel:

...or he's being soaked in tap water...chlorine will dry out that new growth, as well!

You mean warm tap water is not good for soaking? What should be used?

oh, i guess warm tap water from the kitchen sink is softened and the cold is filtered. that should reduce the chlorine level.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
mine get that look and as soon as the mister kicks in it washes away, sometimes i will scrub them with a soft tooth brush and it stays gone for a week or so, seems to be dry sirt or something on mine....its not the growth cause it washes off..... in my experience that is.....

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Try gently scrubbing it off the hind end with white vinegar. If it comes off, it is hard water deposits. You can use diluted vinegar closer to the eyes and face if it helps.

He does look really dry to me, too but he was probably started well since he is not really bumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.