White coloration in between scutes- Over feeding?

Roo

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge, UK
Hello!

Just been reunited with my little horsefield Elijah after a three month separation. I made the tough decision to leave him at my family home over the winter months when my student house became too cold for him- He's only a baby and as a first time tort owner I'd feel anxious having him hibernate.
Really chuffed to have him back and he seems very happy and active, however there is a noticeable change in size and I'm not sure how concerned I should be about this? I'm sure he wasn't growing at such a rate when I had him but it's hard to say for sure. I also noticed that the area around each scute is very white.
My mum is very attentive and i know he's been getting plenty of hydration and a fresh clump of kale/watercress/campanula every other day along with any garden weeds that are tortoise friendly. My five youngest siblings are also very enthusiastic about his care though and I'd say theres a good chance he's had a few too many fruity treats along the way, I.e strawberries, tomatoes.
There are a lot of small faint white circles on his shell as well, I wondered if these are associated with vitamin deficiency or anything?

Any advice much appreciated!tort2.JPG Tort3.JPG tort1.JPG

phebe121

Nope its new growth lines its a good sign your tort is growing

Roo

Cambridge, UK
Oh good! Thank you, any ideas about the faint white squiggles or is that just shell pattern?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh good! Thank you, any ideas about the faint white squiggles or is that just shell pattern?

Those are normal too. Not all tortoises seem to get them, but a lot of them do. No one really knows why.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I think Elijah is beautiful.
You don't notice the growth when you see him everyday, but if you leave for a while and come back, you can really see it.
Same thing happened when I was in hospital for a few months and was so amazed at how much my little girl (tortoise) had grown.
Looks fine to me.

Reactions: Roo

HotdogKnight

Southampton, UK
It's so good to see a fellow UK student with a Russian! Our student house is always roasting though so mine is pretty content, had to bring him home on the train for Easter though. Your torts shell is lovely, I love the pale colours coming in. My Vince is pretty dark and also has a few white lines like yours.