White cottony film on my map turtle

YaCel

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all

Over the past few days, I have noticed a white cottony pellicule on the skin of my turtle. I have read somewhere that it could be skin shedding but Donatello (my mississippi map turtle) is 7 months old and about 4inches so not sure it is still possible.

The temp of the water is regular as I have a heater set on 29C and I feed him 3 times a day no more than de volume of his head (which he devours in few minutes every time). I feed him pellets and white fresh fish - unfortunately every time I tried vegetables (cucumber and salad), he doesn't eat. My tank has an exo terra UVB light. He also has a block of calcium which he seems to eat daily. He has a dock, although I have never seen him on it (he hangs from it by one paw when he sleeps which is quite funny to see but that's it) - instead, he spends his time between the filter's pipe and the wall...

Here are pictures, it is not easy to see (btw there is only one turtle but you can see his reflection on the tank). Any idea what it could be? I'm afraid it could be a fungus...

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

IMG_2846.PNG IMG_2847.PNG

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Not a fungus - it's quite normal with my map turtle, in small amounts. I think it's shedding and has a lot to do with growth and adaptation to water changes.

Now if you see excess, that could be an indication of a problem. When I first received my map turtle, it was as if he had trouble removing the shedded skin and had clumps all over his body. This does not seem the case with your map.

Kind of weird he doesn't bask. Mine is up on his basking spot all the time.

Last edited:

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Looks like skin shedding to me. They will do that at any age.

If you're interested, it looks like you actually have a Sabine map turtle. Graptemys ouachitensis Very closely related to the Mississippi map.

The Mississippi map turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica khoni) is a subspecies of the false map turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica pseudogeographica) . There are actually three different turtles commonly sold as "Mississippi" map turtles - The Mississippi map, the false map, and the Sabine, or Ouachita map turtle (Graptemys ouachitensis) For most of us, without genetic testing, the only real difference in the three, is the markings around the head and neck. Also, all three interbreed commonly and a single clutch from a female can throw different ones!! The "Mississippi" will have a long parenthesis type marking from forehead all the way down behind the eye and Mississippi maps tend to have round looking eyes as there is no bar through the iris. The false map has a "hockey stick" behind and above the eye with the "paddle" of the stick down behind the eye. The Sabine (Ouachita) has three dots instead - one above the eye, another just below and bhind the eye and a third just under the jaw.

YaCel

London
Here is a pic of the excess shedding around his neck on the day I received himView attachment 214068

Thanks! really helpful to see the picture. I am very reassured now.

Looks like skin shedding to me. They will do that at any age.

If you're interested, it looks like you actually have a Sabine map turtle. Graptemys ouachitensis Very closely related to the Mississippi map.

The Mississippi map turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica khoni) is a subspecies of the false map turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica pseudogeographica) . There are actually three different turtles commonly sold as "Mississippi" map turtles - The Mississippi map, the false map, and the Sabine, or Ouachita map turtle (Graptemys ouachitensis) For most of us, without genetic testing, the only real difference in the three, is the markings around the head and neck. Also, all three interbreed commonly and a single clutch from a female can throw different ones!! The "Mississippi" will have a long parenthesis type marking from forehead all the way down behind the eye and Mississippi maps tend to have round looking eyes as there is no bar through the iris. The false map has a "hockey stick" behind and above the eye with the "paddle" of the stick down behind the eye. The Sabine (Ouachita) has three dots instead - one above the eye, another just below and bhind the eye and a third just under the jaw.

Wow! Thanks a lot for letting me know, I would never have thought of checking what the petshop told me. I did check tonight and can indeed see the dots.

Thanks guys!