White dry marks on my Russian tortoise beak

Crisboyx3

Location (City and/or State)
New york
C15E3695-59E1-466F-8763-2466332A6BC6.jpegC6EE690D-9367-4076-909E-2F5C523B55F6.jpegMy Russian tortoise has been sleeping and not eating the past few days, her would walk with his eyes close mind you it’s summer so I did some research online on what could it be and I came to a conclusion that he could of gone to aestivation ( Aestivation refers to the process of dormancy or inactivity of a tortoise when the temperatures are extreme.) I never heard that but it made sense since a day before he started acting like that, I raised the humidity in his enclosure and the temperatures here in nyc is hot right now. So I left him alone to sleep but today that I checked on him his beak has some white dryness spots. And I also spoke to the person where I recently bought off from and he told me that he shouldn’t be sleeping, he should be eating and active since it’s not the season for him to be like that. He told me to soak him and try to feed him, and keep his enclosure around 60-80% humid So now I’m worried. Also cause I spot that on his beak.
After I soaked him he would rarely open his eyes, now he’s a little bit active, opens his eyes a bit more. If any expert or anyone can help me it’ll be amazing thank you. I’ll be posting pics of his beak here

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, sleeping for the past few days is NOT normal.
Welcome, to TFO (Tortoise Forum) @Crisboyx3 you have come to the right place for answers to your question's/concerns.
There are a LOT of very smart Tort folks here that will chime in soon, but in the mean time have you read this post about the care of your Russian. Read through it and then ask MORE questions, and I'm sure we can help you out.
And welcome again.

Crisboyx3

New york
Yes, sleeping for the past few days is NOT normal.
Welcome, to TFO (Tortoise Forum) @Crisboyx3 you have come to the right place for answers to your question's/concerns.
There are a LOT of very smart Tort folks here that will chime in soon, but in the mean time have you read this post about the care of your Russian. Read through it and then ask MORE questions, and I'm sure we can help you out.
And welcome again.

Thank you so much I’ll look into that! Just really worried. Idk if I need to take him to the vet or something

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Thank you so much I’ll look into that! Just really worried. Idk if I need to take him to the vet or something
Well there are several things to check, I think the humidity might be a lil low, and what is the temp of the enclosure? The basking area should be around 95-100° directly under the bulb or CHE.

Crisboyx3

New york
Well there are several things to check, I think the humidity might be a lil low, and what is the temp of the enclosure? The basking area should be around 95-100° directly under the bulb or CHE.
The humidity was around 50 at the beginning, that’s when I decided to wet it. The humidity moved to 70% but ever since thn he started acting less active so I thought it was due to the humidity or him getting hot due to it. Since that’s the only thing I changed. So I decided to dry the dirty back to the way it was.(50) thinking it would be okay. and he just kept sleeping and not eating. The basking area is between 95-100 and right now I have a spray bottle and I’ve been spraying his enclosure trying to keep the humidity around 70

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get a reliable digital temp gun and a digital thermometer. The basking is correct. The over all temp should range from 75 to 80 and night temps can drop to 60 so turn heat off.
The humidity should be 30 to 50%, 50% being better.
Do not use a Coil bulb.
Double check the temps with a digital thermometer and get those adjusted if needed.
Enclosure size should be a 4x8 foot.
What is the diet?
For now along with checking and getting temps right, give him a long warm soak. 30-60 minutes keeping water warm.

Crisboyx3

New york
Get a reliable digital temp gun and a digital thermometer. The basking is correct. The over all temp should range from 75 to 80 and night temps can drop to 60 so turn heat off.
The humidity should be 30 to 50%, 50% being better.
Do not use a Coil bulb.
Double check the temps with a digital thermometer and get those adjusted if needed.
Enclosure size should be a 4x8 foot.
What is the diet?
For now along with checking and getting temps right, give him a long warm soak. 30-60 minutes keeping water warm.
The humidity 30 to 50 in general? Or at night?
The enclosure I have him in is 19”W 36”L 16”H hes 4” long aswell. I usually used to take him out of his enclosure and make him walk around my house
His diet as of right now is spring mix. Is that okay? But he hasn’t eaten since thn. Tried to feed him today but he didn’t eat.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Poor little guy, he doesn't look well at all. Maybe he needs antibiotics so a trip tomorrow to a good reptile vet may be needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Much improving needed. Humidity should be day and night. The enclosure is way too small. An adult needs 4x8 foot minimum. Just spring mix is not good.
Read the caresheet and follow asap.

Crisboyx3

New york
Much improving needed. Humidity should be day and night. The enclosure is way too small. An adult needs 4x8 foot minimum. Just spring mix is not good.
Read the caresheet and follow asap.
Got it thank you!! As of right now what should I try to feed him besides spring mix? Since he’s not really trying to eat. Should I take him to the vet? I’ll be looking to get a a bigger enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Try some romaine or iceburg lettuce. Most tortoises love it. It shouldn't be a big part of their diet but let's see if we can get him eating. Try soaking him in warm water and get some baby food carrots to add to the soaking water.
If you can collect tort safe weeds, dandelion, cactus, mulberry leaf. Grocery store greens add to the spring mix, radicchio, mustard greens, small amounts of kale, curly endive, collards. As much of a variety as possible.

Crisboyx3

New york
Thank you so much!! I’ll be doing that!! Just one last thing, for his enclosure. You know any good websites that I can find for him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To try and get him to eat try some romaine or iceburg lettuce. It's not a great alone diet but most torts love it.
Also add baby food carrot to his warm soaking water and piediyte. See if that helps. .
Broad leafy greens, radicchio, kale, mustard and collard greens endive, cactus pads, dandelion, along with the spring mix. Broad leaf weeds. As much of a variety as possible.

This disc gauges you are using are junk. I think the temps are likely way too hot and humidity too low.
Make the changes tomorrow if possible and see how he does.
If anything looks to be getting worse then you may want to take him into a good vet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To try and get him to eat try some romaine or iceburg lettuce. It's not a great alone diet but most torts love it.
Also add baby food carrot to his warm soaking water and piediyte. See if that helps. .
Broad leafy greens, radicchio, kale, mustard and collard greens endive, cactus pads, dandelion, along with the spring mix. Broad leaf weeds. As much of a variety as possible.

This disc gauges you are using are junk. I think the temps are likely way too hot and humidity too low.
If anything looks to be getting worse then you may want to take him into a good vet.
Sorry for the almost repeated post. I didn't see the other one show up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much!! I’ll be doing that!! Just one last thing, for his enclosure. You know any good websites that I can find for him?
Google search raised garden beds, pop up portable green houses or build your own from 3 2x6x8 foot lumber boards cutting one in half attach them into a rectangle and a piece of 4x8 plywood for the floor.
Do not let him roam your house floors, that's very dangerous for a tort.

Crisboyx3

New york

Okay so I’m soaking him on water with pedialite and organic carrot baby food. He seems to be doing much better. For how long should I keep doing this. And regarding his enclosure. Can I make an enclosure that is 2’ by 9’ i know is less thn 1 square foot. Would you think it’ll be a big difference?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Honestly, I'd keep doing these soaks for at least a week, then reevaluate.
And while 2' x 9' is not optimum, it would do for while.
How old/big is your tort, If it's small, young it would be less of an issue in the short term. Remember walking/ exploring the neighborhood is good for the GI track, it's one of the things that helps them move the food along in their bodies.

Crisboyx3

New york
Honestly, I'd keep doing these soaks for at least a week, then reevaluate.
And while 2' x 9' is not optimum, it would do for while.
How old/big is your tort, If it's small, young it would be less of an issue in the short term. Remember walking/ exploring the neighborhood is good for the GI track, it's one of the things that helps them move the food along in their bodies.
Got it thank you! He’s 3 years old. I can only fit a 9 by 2. I live in an apartment and that’s the only size I find to fit /: