White eyelids? Need other opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
So, here's my deal. Ive had my Ibera Greek hatchling for about 10 days. I'm not sure if his eyelids are turning white, eyes are swollen, or if I'm just paranoid. I take as good of care of him as possible besides letting him live outside. His enclosure is 2'x3. Uv tube light that is band new so it's 13" above right now, my fixture does allow me to move it closer as the bulb ages. Basking bulb that's about 100f underneath. Substrate is topsoil on bottom, middle is coco coir, and top is sphagnum moss on about half the enclosure. He eats well. Gets soaked 1 long soak a day, and 1 shorter soak. With mistings 2-3 times also. I was having humidity issues, that's why this may seem a bit excessive... But it's been working better. His food is grassland tort food with calcium w/ d3, and green mix (dandelion, mustard, parsley, etc). I'm lost at how he can any sort of deficiency, he's a bit of a pampered baby. ;) oh, and he doesn't seem to have weepy eyes, no bubble from the nose except when he dunks his head under water... Lol. He is a bit of a sleepy baby but I've heard that's normal, he is 1 3/4 of an inch and between 18-20 grams. Sorry for the book, but what's a more experienced persons opinion? How does he look? The first pic is from the very first day I got him, the next one is from today, I could only catch him blinking so he wasn't asleep.

I'll try to get better pictures when he falls back asleep, which should be soon...

Attachments

• image-3776030561.png
    image-3776030561.png
    178.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image-1005272803.png
    image-1005272803.png
    207.8 KB · Views: 63

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you offering the tortoise leafy greens that are high in vitamin A?

#5: Dark Leafy Greens
Crisp, fresh, and delicious, dark leafy greens are great in a salad or steamed as a side. As a bonus they are also high in calcium. Kale provides the most vitamin A with 15376IU (308% DV) per 100g serving, 10302IU (206% DV) per cup. It is followed by Turnip Greens (232% DV), Mustard Greens (210% DV), Dandelion Greens (203% DV), Spinach (188% DV), and Collards (133% DV).

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Are you offering the tortoise leafy greens that are high in vitamin A?

#5: Dark Leafy Greens
Crisp, fresh, and delicious, dark leafy greens are great in a salad or steamed as a side. As a bonus they are also high in calcium. Kale provides the most vitamin A with 15376IU (308% DV) per 100g serving, 10302IU (206% DV) per cup. It is followed by Turnip Greens (232% DV), Mustard Greens (210% DV), Dandelion Greens (203% DV), Spinach (188% DV), and Collards (133% DV).

Right now I have mustard greens, dandelion, and parsley. I'll pick up some kale today if you think that might be it. He loves his dandelion so I might replace the parsley which he isn't big on.

I carry around this list when i go shopping for him, does it seem pretty accurate? I got it off the forum, obviously. I probably didn't get the kale because of the little warning about goiter.

I've also read that too much calcium can hinder the absorption of other vitamins. Should I cut back on the calcium to 3 times a week instead of once a day? I figured since he's a baby he could use a little extra.

Attachments

• image-2619185728.png
    image-2619185728.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 31

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Ok, been trying to post this from my phone all day and the pictures wouldnt work. He was sleeping in his soak this morning so i got a few good ones. Here are a few pics of his eyes. I did have the flash on so it looks a bit more drastic than it really is. His eyes really don't look swollen... But I'd really like more opinions...

Attachments

• image-1783283006.png
    image-1783283006.png
    248.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1099582275.png
    image-1099582275.png
    143.5 KB · Views: 44

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The first things I would do is turn off the lights,and keep him out of direct sun light for awhile,also cut back on the d3

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
Len said:
The first things I would do is turn off the lights,and keep him out of direct sun light for awhile,also cut back on the d3

The bagging lamp to? Or just the uv? I don't want him getting chilled. I put him outside for a little bit every few days on my balcony but it is really shaded, is that ok? I'm kind of freaking out now.. :-/

Meant to say basking lamp... Eugh, auto correct...

Status
Not open for further replies.