White foam in eye's

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Hi all, My tort Sal always has white foam in the corners of his eyes. Is this normal? He is an otherwise healthy 145 lb. 11 year old.
Just wondering if this is a problem. His diet is Orchard mix hay, Muzzori, Hibiscus flowers and pumpkin.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's normal for sulcatas, however, you might make sure he's hydrated. Make sure he has access to clean water at all times, and that he can get away from the heat source in his shelter.

Sulcatas are sometimes referred to as "the crying tortoise" because their eyes tear when they're hot. This helps to cool them off.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
That's normal for sulcatas, however, you might make sure he's hydrated. Make sure he has access to clean water at all times, and that he can get away from the heat source in his shelter.

Sulcatas are sometimes referred to as "the crying tortoise" because their eyes tear when they're hot. This helps to cool them off.
Thanks for that, I figured it was normal. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I was or was not doing. He's got plenty of water and he's spoiled rotten.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did you get him? Did you raise him with the humid methods advocated on this forum in his early years? What general part of SoCal are you in? I ask because he looks fantastic. Due to his size and age, I'm pretty sure you've got a Sudan sulcata there. Very different climate from Palm Springs to Pacific Palisades even though both are SoCal.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Where did you get him? Did you raise him with the humid methods advocated on this forum in his early years? What general part of SoCal are you in? I ask because he looks fantastic. Due to his size and age, I'm pretty sure you've got a Sudan sulcata there. Very different climate from Palm Springs to Pacific Palisades even though both are SoCal.
Thanks Tom. A complement coming from you Tom is an honer!
I rescued him from a co-worker who didn't know how to properly care for him. He said he was about one year old . He said his mother in law had a pet shop in Orange CA that went out of business and that's how he came to have him. That was in September of 09. His weight at that time was .6 lbs.
I will show a picture in my next post.
Sadly, I did not raise him with the humid methods I have since learned on this forum. I pretty much raised him like I raised my CDT that Iv'e had since he was a hatch-ling back in 1992. Kept him in a wire cage with a infrared heat lamp the first two years. He does have mild to pyrimiding and I do regret that I did not discover this forum earlier. I never thought he may be a Sudan variety because I assumed that they had more ivory coloring. Maybe a mix?
I live in Orange county and his house is insulated and kept at 82 deg.F. I use two 250 watt CHE's controlled with a PID temperature controller. I have the T/C just above shell height. I am a machine maintenance mechanic by trade so I get to play with all the cool stuff for climate control. I'm in the process of building an overtemp. controller in case my ssr relay sticks open causing my heaters to run away. Don't want to cook my baby! OK now I'm rambling.
Thanks for the kind words.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
This is Sal at what I was told was one year old. This was in 2009. Does this look like a year ling? You can see he already has prymiding.Salvadore @1 yr 11-10-09 001.jpg

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
I know people will see my last post and wonder about PID, ssr,t/c etc. So hers a pic of my temp.controller. (pid)20191201_163128.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is more technical than my abilities, but it sounds great to me.

Yes, that looks like a yearling.

Sudans are the same color as "regular" sulcatas. Ivories are a whole different thing. The tell tale sign is the size and shape of the Sudan.

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
That is more technical than my abilities, but it sounds great to me.

Yes, that looks like a yearling.

Sudans are the same color as "regular" sulcatas. Ivories are a whole different thing. The tell tale sign is the size and shape of the Sudan.
Ahh,thanks for that Tom. Always wished I could have a Sudan and looks like I may have had one all along!
Now I have to research this a little more. Any sure way of knowing?

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
hi @Hippytort, do you have any pictures of your sulcata you can share with us? :)
Thank you for asking Vladimir. I have been wanting to post more on this forum for awhile now but first I have tto figure out how to post multiple pictures. I'm not very good at this.
I want to start a new topic on tortoise proofing the yard. And show the things that these guys are capable of when they get big.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ahh,thanks for that Tom. Always wished I could have a Sudan and looks like I may have had one all along!
Now I have to research this a little more. Any sure way of knowing?
Generally, the normal ones stop growing at around 120 pounds. Maybe 130. The Sudans keep going to 250 plus. If Sal is already 145 at 11 years old, and he has the characteristic high dome, I'd say he's a Sudan.

@Markw84 would you agree?
@DeanS ?