White fuzzy mold??

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hi everyone. Thought id keep you up to date with where im at atm. So I managed to get rid of the furry stuff after a good clean out. And also added a greenhouse to the table (thankyou to whoever recommended that) , i managed to find one which fits perfectly over the top 😀. I give the substrate a good spray before putting it on. However the humidity in the warm end only sits at 64%. There is about 3" of coco coir and some orchid bark scattered over the top in places. The substrate has dried out quite alot over the couple of days already. Here are all the current temps and humidity levels.

Basking spot 38c (measured with infrared thermometer)
Warm end 64% and 28c
Cool end 82% and 24c
Over night temp settles at 20c

Apart from the low humidity ay the warm end, does everything else look ok? Should I saturate the substrate? Anything else you'd recommend I should add/takeaway?
Hi!
I really like the enclosure and daytime temperatures are great.
1. Temperature gun sometimes inaccurately measure basking area temperature (surface temperature of damp substrate is not the same as would be temperature of basking tortoise). Place a thermometer probe under the basking lamp for an hour or two to measure it accurately.

2. Humidity looks fine to me - a gradient of 80-60% is good. From time to time pour some water in substrate to maintain it (more water to the warm end).

3. Right now nighttime temperature is good. But should not go lower than that. A ceramic heat emitter in a wide dome hooked to a thermostat will keep ambient temperature under control (and won't waste electricity when unnecessary).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi everyone. Thought id keep you up to date with where im at atm. So I managed to get rid of the furry stuff after a good clean out. And also added a greenhouse to the table (thankyou to whoever recommended that) , i managed to find one which fits perfectly over the top 😀. I give the substrate a good spray before putting it on. However the humidity in the warm end only sits at 64%. There is about 3" of coco coir and some orchid bark scattered over the top in places. The substrate has dried out quite alot over the couple of days already. Here are all the current temps and humidity levels.

Basking spot 38c (measured with infrared thermometer)
Warm end 64% and 28c
Cool end 82% and 24c
Over night temp settles at 20c

Apart from the low humidity ay the warm end, does everything else look ok? Should I saturate the substrate? Anything else you'd recommend I should add/takeaway?
Excellent!! Well done you!! Looks great! I’d suggest switching your dishes to some terracotta saucers😊those ones are a bit too smooth.

Temps sounds good but you won’t want any cooler for nightime, to combat this I’d think about install a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) I can walk you through insulation.

And yeah as Alex suggests double check with your monitoring for your basking temp, but the gun definitely helps give an indication you’re in the right range.

Humidity will naturally be lower under the lamp so I wouldn’t worry, as long as you’re maintaining 80 in the majority, you’ve got a good range🥰

All in all, looking good!!😁

spuddy91

Liverpool
yeah I think I'm gonna heave to get a ceramic emitter. It can get really cold of a nighttime here in the uk, so I'd imagine it'd get colder than 20c as winter approaches. I have a spare dome I can use from one of my chameleons (RIP Ernie 😔) so that'll be perfect for the job. And ill put the probe under the lamp to see if the basking spot is accurate. I don't know why I was under the impression that the humidity was on the low side, but it makes sense now you mention it being in the warm side. We're getting there 😄 thanks for the help guys and I'm glad you like the enclosure 🙏

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
yeah I think I'm gonna heave to get a ceramic emitter. It can get really cold of a nighttime here in the uk, so I'd imagine it'd get colder than 20c as winter approaches. I have a spare dome I can use from one of my chameleons (RIP Ernie 😔) so that'll be perfect for the job. And ill put the probe under the lamp to see if the basking spot is accurate. I don't know why I was under the impression that the humidity was on the low side, but it makes sense now you mention it being in the warm side. We're getting there 😄 thanks for the help guys and I'm glad you like the enclosure 🙏
Sounds like a plan! Sorry about your Chameleon😞