White haze in water

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
Hello all!
Quick question.
I've been seeing this for a while but what is this white haze on the surface of the water? Im thinking it is from hugos urates? Or from the birds using the water? It usually appears every 2 days or so but i am curious if anyone else experiences this in their water.
Thanks!
20171204_145041.jpg

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Hmmm there's never been oil in there and i didnt use any oil anything when building it and used that safe potable pvc cement.. it does look and behave like an oil slick, staying on top, but it isn't oily at all when you touch it or have a sheen it kinda flat/dull.. hmmmm

I need to put up a game camera or something to watch it..and maybe see how it developes or what produces it..

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just throwing this out as an idea ... How long ago did you pour that cement pool/watering hole? Is it possible the residue/slick is the cement/concrete exuding something as it totally cures?

Maybe you can take a beaker full and have it tested by your county water supplier? Is it water borne? Air borne...from the vessel? Someone sprsying for mosquitos at night? birds bathing...tort urates?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think it's from the birds. I will occasionally see the same oil slick loooking stuff on the top of my torts plastic water dish. The kind of plastic dish used for horses.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Now....when birds bath like this, they usually preen n clean, leaving a few tell tale signs.... Any signs of 'lil bird feathers in the water as well as the residue?

• If yes...we possibly have the culprits;
  • If no, we keep searching for the correct response.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I do see birds doing what they do in the water everyday no fethers though lol but maybe its just one kind of bird leaving the residue since it's not everytime I see the birds in there.. It's probably them I guess. No spraying going on or anything like that..

Maybe I'll take some and put I under my microscope at work. Anyone have a picture of tortoise urates or bird poop under a microscope to compare? Google here I come!
Thanks all!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Now....when birds bath like this, they usually preen n clean, leaving a few tell tale signs.... Any signs of 'lil bird feathers in the water as well as the residue?

• If yes...we possibly have the culprits;
  • If no, we keep searching for the correct response.
Caged/pet birds do lots of preening with bathing. Wild birds not so much. At least not in the bath around here. They usually fly out to perch some place and do their preening.
There's no reason to look further. There is nothing else that would/could be putting that film in my torts water.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
The birds here in Maryland must be fancier :) they sit in our multiple bird bath and preen and fluff their feathers.

Regardless... good we all figured it out...