White lines on sulcata shell? (not growth rings)

Pirapat

I've noticed that my 7 months old sulcata has some white lines and rings on his shell. They're not in between the segments of the shell and I don't know what they are.

p.s. is the shell pyramiding?

12381215_1050142451712959_1717327180_o.jpg 12443726_1050142368379634_535426472_o.jpg 12517149_1050142358379635_1922581056_o.jpg 12873455_1050142395046298_180587248_o.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Do a search for squiggly lines. You'll get a whole page of discussion on the topic. Essentially, no one knows what it is, but its normal and not harmful.

Yes the shell is pyramiding.

Pirapat

Thanks for the info! She didn't get enough light and a good diet during the first 1-2 months that I got her. She now has a new enclosure with plenty of light and proper humidity. The pyramiding should slow down and stop soon.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the info! She didn't get enough light and a good diet during the first 1-2 months that I got her. She now has a new enclosure with plenty of light and proper humidity. The pyramiding should slow down and stop soon.

Light has nothing to do with pyramiding and diet is a minor factor. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Simulating the African rainy season that they hatch into is what will eliminate pyramiding in progress. You need it very warm and humid, you'll need to soak the tortoise daily for the next couple of years, and spray the shell with collected rainwater, RO water or distilled water several times a day for a long time. Regular tap water is good for drinking and soaking, but it will leave hard water stains if you spray the tortoise and enclosure with it several times a day.

Have you already seen these?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/

Pirapat

Yes I have read all those threads. I'm aware that not giving them enough humidity and moisture can promote pyramiding. I'm currently soaking her every morning, and her hiding spot is also sprayed in the morning. Is 75% humidity enough?

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes I have read all those threads. I'm aware that not giving them enough humidity and moisture can promote pyramiding. I'm currently soaking her every morning, and her hiding spot is also sprayed in the morning. Is 75% humidity enough?

From the pic you posted, I would have to say that whatever you have been doing has not been enough. Not saying that to be mean, I'm saying that so you understand that if you wish to halt this pyramiding in progress, you will need to do more than what you have been doing.

No. I don't think 75% humidity is enough. Is it 75% everywhere in a closed chamber? Or is it 75% in the hiding spot? Does your enclosure have an open top? What device are you measuring humidity with?

I ask all this for clues to offer you the best advice.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I think your sully is beautiful looking. She may have a tiny bit of pyramiding, but that can be stopped by increasing the humidity levels in her enclosure, not just her hide. I converted a shed (12' x 15') into an insulted shed that can hold 80%+ humidity levels along with constant temps of 80-85 degrees. While my sullies have the option of leaving their enclosure to graze outside, their enclosure is used primarily for sleeping and protection from the outside elements; therefore, the shed must stay warm and humid all year long. It isn't hard to do; it just takes time and money to set up. But, when it's done, you'll never have to build another enclosure or worry if your sully is getting enough heat and humidity especially during the winter months. If you get a chance, check out our setup using my username"sibi".