White poop should i worry? And what can i do about it

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
No it's called urates and it's the urine that they their kidneys and their livers suck out all the liquid from. The urine then makes it kind of a pasty stuff called urates. Make sure your tortoise is well hydrated... if it's a baby you need to be like soaking it everyday. The urates aren't terrible until they're real gritty... and they can form kidney or bladder stones. Can, not necessarily do. Soak a small tortoise daily and don't really worry...
100_0217.JPG

Last edited:

CLINTOn

Galveston
I soak both of them everyday for 10 minutes the 1.2 month old is pois whit powder then the 3 week old is like toothpaste

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
White poop should I worry about it
What species? What size? What do you feed them? How are they housed?

Urates are a by-product of protein digestion. Seeing urates in a baby is an indicator that they are too dry and not getting enough hydration. This is typically seen in enclosures that are too dry, babies that are outside too much, and torts that aren't soaked often enough or long enough.

You should be soaking babies for at least 30-40 minutes daily. Keep the water warm the whole time.

CLINTOn

Galveston
What species? What size? What do you feed them? How are they housed?

Urates are a by-product of protein digestion. Seeing urates in a baby is an indicator that they are too dry and not getting enough hydration. This is typically seen in enclosures that are too dry, babies that are outside too much, and torts that aren't soaked often enough or long enough.

You should be soaking babies for at least 30-40 minutes daily. Keep the water warm the whole time.
Sulcata tortoises babies1 and 3 months old inside enclosure with a daily bath 10 min every morning and tortoise pellets repcal and land tortoise pellets and ? kale romain lettuce and mixed vegetables

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Up the soaking time like Tom suggested. Get 3 or4 small flower pots. Get some wheatgrass seeds and plant in 3 day intervals. That way you won't have a bunch of grass all at the same time. You can use scissors and hold pot over the food and trim 1/2 inch pieces on the food. Dont use any potting soil with fertilizer in it. It won't help with the urates but will help getting fiber in their diet.
Here is the question I don't want to ask.
Do you keep them in the same enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sulcata tortoises babies1 and 3 months old inside enclosure with a daily bath 10 min every morning and tortoise pellets repcal and land tortoise pellets and ? kale romain lettuce and mixed vegetables
You're not listening. Baby tortoises that have urates are showing you that they're being kept too dry.

Also, pairs don't work out well. You will always have a dominant and a submissive and it's very stressful for both of them. Three or more work ok, but pairs don't. You will notice that one grows bigger and more robust than the other. I causes so much stress that eventually one will get sick and may even die. My suggestion is to set up a whole other enclosure and separate them.

Please read this care sheet and make some adjustments to your babies' diet: